How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Question about SQL Monitor

If you run a query in SSMS and look at the execution plan it will suggest indexes the query would benefit from. Does SQL Monitor look at the queries running against a database and do something similar? Like could I just run some code I had written with SQL Monitor on and have it pick up any queries which could be optimised?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    you mean like this? If so, yes SQL Monitor does it :-)
    pp49akvwhxsz.png
    c20hqaj85bpz.png

• Options
    Fabulous! So it looks like if I had 1000 SQL statements I would only have to look at the warnings to filter out the ones that were performing badly?

Are the warnings themselves written to a SQL table so I can query and filter them?

I guess the thing to do is download the trial version and see how I get on...
  • Options
    Mark_ChampionMark_Champion Posts: 17 Bronze 3
    edited September 12, 2017 3:51PM
    If you have a look at the instance overview screen in SQL Monitor (http://monitor.red-gate.com/overviews/cluster/254914-ntclus.lon.intensive.int/sql/ins1) you can quickly see the top queries (filter by duration, CPU time etc) . When you select a query you can view the execution plan and see if there are any associated warnings. Feel free to send an email to slqmonitor@red-gate.com and someone will happily talkyou through it.
  • Options
    pawernerpawerner Posts: 1 New member
    I know this post is old but is there any report/view that would show any/a;; suggested indexes? Trying to mine through them going plan to plan is time consuming. If there was a quick way to review queries that had suggested indexes it would be very helpful.
  • Options
    ThomasBEThomasBE Posts: 11 Bronze 2
    Fabulous! So it looks like if I had 1000 SQL statements I would only have to look at the warnings to filter out the ones that were performing badly?

Are the warnings themselves written to a SQL table so I can query and filter them?

I guess the thing to do is download the trial version and see how I get on...
    Be aware that suggested indexes will only improve that specific query. SQL Monitor just uses the information available in the query plan. The index proposal you see will be exactly the same as the one in SSMS.

Indexes improving one query could slow down other operations. Be aware on adding indexes without testing thoroughly. 
    Also, depending on the database, not all software vendors support index tuning on their database. Future upgrades or changes could fail if you start fumbling around in the indexes.