Options

Failed to connect to an IPC Port:

ERROR MESSAGE "Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified."

I'm getting this error from SSC. I haven't done anything other than connect up a DB to use Git. This error message then starts popping up constantly. If I click Cancel it almost immediately comes back up and the only way out is to kill SSMS from Task Manager.

Any ideas what I can look for to troubleshoot?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

We released a fix for this a few days ago in version 5.8.3, it is currently on Frequent Updates.

To see how to enable frequent updates see https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Configuring+frequent+updates
    Peter Gerrard

Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Thanks for the prompt response Peter. I've enabled frequent updates and got the latest patch version. Will test it out in the next couple of days - hopefully stable now.
  • Options
    cguanescguanes Posts: 18 Bronze 3
    Where can I download it? I have it installed already but we are migrating from SSMS 2016 to 17.2, and the SQLBundle only have version 5.6. I don't want to uninstall the SSMS2016 until I copied all the DB configuration to the SSMS 17.2.
    Thanks
    Carlos Guanes
  • Options
    Hi @cguanes you can get the latest SQL Source Control installer from this link,
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sqlsourcecontrol/22Aug2017/SQLSourceControl_5.8.3.6733.exe

Or from your current SQL Source Control install you can enable Frequent updates: https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SOC5/Configuring+frequent+updates
    Peter Gerrard

Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2017 5:07PM
    How do you "re-install" so I can get it on the SSMS 17.2 as well (without uninstalling from 2016) ?
    Install is greyed-out
    u0bcnav5q6po.png
    Carlos Guanes
  • Options
    Apart from upgrading to a newer version, there is currently no supported way of installing into SSMS 17.2 without uninstalling SQL Source Control first.
    Peter Gerrard

Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    So if I wait for next "frequent release" to install, will it install on both?
    Carlos Guanes
  • Options
    It should do so long as SSMS 17.2 is already installed on that machine.
    Peter Gerrard

Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Sorry to keep asking, but based on what you said.... there is not way to have the SC on my 17.2 just installed when I already have it on SSMS 2016, because I cannot install 5.6 (SQL Bundle) because it detect 5.8 already installed, and even if I wait for 5.8.x (next release) it won't install on my 17.2 because it is not installed previous version there yet... and there is not way to export/import my configuration with all my linked databases either... (I have like 20 DB) This is not good.
    Carlos Guanes
  • Options
    Sorry for any confusion. You should be able to do what you want, here's a summary of what happens:

Whenever you run a SQL Source Control installer (through the bundle or frequent updates) it will install into all supported versions of SSMS (Currently SSMS 2012, 2014, 2016, 17).

So if you have SSMS 17.2 installed on the machine and run any of our installers since 5.5.7 , then SQL Source Control will be installed into SSMS 17.2.

Your configuration will hold over as this is done by SQL Server not SSMS.
    (If you have migrated your databases to a new SQL Server then SQL Source Control will detect them as new databases, so will need re-linking)
    Peter Gerrard

Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I will explain my situation again...
    - I already had SSMS2016 with RedGate SC 5.8 installed and over 20 DB linked
    - Yesterday I installed the SSMS 17.2.
    - Then I tried to install the RedGate SC using the SQLBundle and I got a message that it cannot be installed because a newer version is already installed (SQLBundle has SC 5.6)
    - so I asked to provide the 5.8.3 which you did... but the same result... screen capture on previous msg "Already installed" so it won't let me install on the new SSMS.
    - At this point I have SSMS 2016 with RG SC and SSMS 17.2 wihtout it.
    - I don't want to uninstall because I need to check each one of the DB that I have linked (they are not all DB on same server), so my idea was having the SC on both so I can transfer the "link" one at the time by copying the config between screen. (since there is not export/import configuration)
    -
    So how do I do it? Neither installers (SQLBundle nor FrequentUpdate) ask which SSMS do I want to install it.
    Carlos Guanes
  • Options
    You have two options.
    • Wait until we release a new version (you already have the latest installed, 5.8.3), this will install into SSMS 2016 and SSMS 17.2
    • Uninstall SQL Source Control, then run the installer I linked to earlier. This will install into SSMS 2016 and SSMS 17.2

They will both use the same configuration, stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 5
    Peter Gerrard

Software Engineer
    Redgate Software