Options

T-Log Backups - LDF File Growth Problem

bboylebboyle Posts: 4
edited December 4, 2008 6:22AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
-- Update:
Please ignore - I have checked the "remove inactive log entries" check box as part of the transaction log backup configuration and it is now running as expected. Initially this option sounded like it was going to release the free space in the file back to the OS which is not what we wanted.

We've recently switched to RedGate SQL Backup to perform the backup jobs for our databases. The routine is:
- t-log backups during the working day
- a differential backup each evening
- a full backup on Saturday at 1am

Since the change over we've noticed that our log files are growing continuously. Our expectation was that the log file would grow as necessary between the t-log backups but once the t-log backup completed then there would be free space available again within the log file. However, even immediately after a t-log backup, the database is reporting <5% free within the t-log file. I don't want to truncate the log file each time as I prefer to keep a set size reserved on disk. My experience with MS SQL BACKUP LOG is that it clears the inactive records from within the LDF and therefore the file does not need to grow continuously.

Any information on any flaws within our approach or guidance on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...