New training: Streamlining alerts in SQL Monitor. Watch now.

The RPC server is unavailable

HermesHermes Posts: 4 New member
Hello,

My boss asked me to try and choose best monitoring tool for our SQL Servers. I am trying Red-gate SQL Monitor 7.1.1.8196 now.

I am facing problem with configuration monitored servers. Monitoring status is Unreachable / Cannot connect
with exception message The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA).
Group WMI - GetInstances: root\cimv2 select ContextSwitchesPersec,ProcessorQueueLength,SystemUpTime from Win32_PerfRawData_PerfOS_System.

Monitoring tool is running on same server as monitored named instances and administrator account is used.

Can you help me to solve this problem please ?

OS : Windows Server 2016, MS SQL 2016
Tagged:

Comments

  • HermesHermes Posts: 4 New member
    Hello Mark,

    i have checked all this steps before.
    • RPC Service is running
    • Firewall disabled
    • No network issues
    • No name resolution issues

    I checked WMI by WMI Tester and WMI Tester tool is working without problems.
  • rmcrmc Posts: 1 New member
    Hi, did you find a fix to this? thanks
  • First step for this is to update to 7.1.8, as we handle the above HRESULT error properly now.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • i am having the same issue, except I have a trial version (SQL Monitor 9.2.12.25535)
    Same exception message.
    I am just trying to get this setup on my local machine first for a trial and then to go from there.
    -Keith E. Truesdell
  • bigjigbigjig Posts: 2 New member
    Was this ever resolved? We upgraded from v9 to 10 and now get the same message, no changes to the infrastructure or permissions.
  • Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    0x800706BA is, 9 times out of 10, an error that gets returned from WMI because of a firewall. It's not something we can really resolve as it's an environmental issue, but you can send the logs into Support to see if there's anything obvious that leaps out.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • bigjigbigjig Posts: 2 New member
    edited July 1, 2020 9:31AM
    Hi Russell, this is not entirely true. I have ran the WMI tests and proved there is no firewall issue.

    Also its intermittent - you restart the service, no Monitoring error 

    20 minutes later - Monitoring error. I have never come across an intermittent firewall issue in the last 20 years of IT but I am willing to accept that you cannot fix it.

    I have a support ticket open and the logs were sent, they are equally baffled. The only logical explanation is bad code; because we have never had this issue before upgrading to v10.1.5 which is the latest version.  
  • cfendrickcfendrick Posts: 14 Bronze 1
    I had some very weird WMI connectivity and tested on my base monitor install with WBEMTest and didn't have any issues.  I tested different users and opened firewall ports, stop/started services, updated DCOM permissions and reg edits, and nothing seemed to work for me. 
    I finally tried deleting and readding the SQL instance is the monitoring tool and then was provided a different WMI error.

    My issues were apparently related to Windows Performance counters simply not working or were missing.

    Resolution
    • Take snapshots or backups of server.
    • Verify that the counters are available on Performance Monitor. If not, you would need to add these missing counters.
    • Rebuild the performance counters:
    1. Open a command prompt as an administrator on the target server and enter the following commands:
    cd %windir%\sysWOW64\
    
    lodctr /R
    
    Error: Unable to rebuild performance counter setting from system backup store, 
    error code is 2
    
    lodctr /R
    
    Info: Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store
    

    Hopefully, that can fix your problem as it resolved my issue. 
      
  • matt_rushtonmatt_rushton Posts: 5 New member
    cfendrick said:
    I had some very weird WMI connectivity and tested on my base monitor install with WBEMTest and didn't have any issues.  I tested different users and opened firewall ports, stop/started services, updated DCOM permissions and reg edits, and nothing seemed to work for me. 
    I finally tried deleting and readding the SQL instance is the monitoring tool and then was provided a different WMI error.

    My issues were apparently related to Windows Performance counters simply not working or were missing.

    Resolution
    • Take snapshots or backups of server.
    • Verify that the counters are available on Performance Monitor. If not, you would need to add these missing counters.
    • Rebuild the performance counters:
    1. Open a command prompt as an administrator on the target server and enter the following commands:
    cd %windir%\sysWOW64\
    
    lodctr /R
    
    Error: Unable to rebuild performance counter setting from system backup store, 
    error code is 2
    
    lodctr /R
    
    Info: Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store
    

    Hopefully, that can fix your problem as it resolved my issue. 
      
    Thanks so much for this, this fixed our issue where SQL Mon couldn't connect to one of our servers and the log showed it only had issues with some WMI Events and passed all the connection checks suggested by Redgate.

    Should probably go in the main trouble shooting guide after you run through the standard connection tests. 
Sign In or Register to comment.