Options

Clustered Instances

rpriesingrpriesing Posts: 12 Bronze 1
Will Clustered Instances be supported in a future release (near future I hope)? At least as a target instance to push a clone to.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

We don't currently have any plans to support clustered instances, as we are not entirely convinced that it would be a useful feature. If support for clustered instances is important to you, please let us know about your use case as it would be valuable information for us to consider.

Many thanks,

Louis
  • Options
    It's very important to us as we have our lower level environments configured to match production so we can fully test all functionality including failovers. These lower level environments get refreshed on a regular basis along with some standalone instances that get refreshed nightly so it would be great if we could use the same process for all.
  • Options
    DLyesDLyes Posts: 16 Bronze 1
    We too would benefit greatly from support for clustered instances.
    Like rpriesing, we also have our test environment clustered, so it mirrors production.
    We were planning on utilising SQL Clone on this server too, both as a source and a destination.
    One example of what we were thinking of doing on this instance was spinning up clones for staging environments from an image of a production backup, so it can be blown away and re-cloned if the release script didn't work / needed modifications.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Are there any situations other than explicitly testing failover when cloning into a SQL Server Cluster would be useful in development or staging?
    Software developer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    DLyesDLyes Posts: 16 Bronze 1
    I don't think so for us. Most of the time we sit on our primary node unless we were testing patches etc. So having the ability to stand-up clones on even one of the nodes would be helpful for us. It would be great if they failed-over onto the other node in the case of a fail-over, but our immediate desire would be just to have them available on the primary node.
  • Options
    As far as the cloning going to the cluster or from a cluster (we occasionally need to restore from Test/Stage to DEV to allow the DEV team to troubleshoot certain items without impacting ongoing SIT/UAT), nothing specific other than having that option to be able to do it so we can manage one process for our restores from Production.
  • Options
    J_IrishJ_Irish Posts: 1 New member
    This is kind of a bummer. I want to take a pretty large DB that is running on a 3 Node Cluster and clone it to another Cluster. The two SQL Instances, in this case, are both connected to the same Windows Cluster, but the application does not want to connect to either of the Cluster Instances. Keeps wanting to try and connect to the default instance on one Node, of which there is not.

So this tool can only be used by someone who wants to clone a really large database where that large database has no redundancy? Seems rather short-sighted to me.