How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

SQL Monitor using large amount of network traffic

I just installed and configured SQL Monitor 7 two days ago and I'm seeing a larger than expected amount of network traffic. It is all flowing from our two monitored servers to the base monitor and consists of nearly continuous spikes of 15-30Mbps (combined between the two monitored servers. Here is a graph of the traffic going to the base monitor. 90smsjomt1ym.png

Is this normal? Is there anything I can tweak to decrease the amount of traffic needed for SQL Monitor?

I'm using SQL Monitor 7.0.12.7831 monitoring MS SQL Server 2014 SP2 running on Windows Server 2012 R2. We currently only have a 100Mbps network so this is using a fairly significant percentage of our bandwidth.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Noah,

This is probably sampler information from the querywaitstats or query plan sampler, which is a known issue and we're working on reducing this. As a workaround though in the meantime you can edit the BaseMonitor config to reduce the frequency these are collected.

Is it possible for you to take a wireshark trace so I can just confirm this traffic?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    Yes, I can. What capture filter should I use? How long a time period should I capture? How do I send you results?
  • Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    edited June 27, 2017 1:11PM
    Hi, don't worry about the filter. You can send the trace into Support.

Incidentally though, if you haven't done so already you should upgrade to 7.0.13 before sending in the trace, as we've made some improvements to the samplers that help reduce network usage.
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    7.0.13 now installed and doesn't seem to have changed the traffic. I put in a support ticket with the capture file.