Avoid deploying partition boundary definitions?

krshortkrshort Posts: 12 Bronze 1
I've inherited the responsibility of DB deployment for several legacy databases. I see that partitioned tables, along with their schemes and functions are checked in to source control. When I try to compare/deploy I see that the old partition boundaries (dates) are being pushed in the deployment. Obviously I don't want to replace my 2017 boundaries in prod with 2015 dates! I want the scheme/function structure in source control, but do not want to change the boundaries. I can exclude these object types, of course, but then any NEW partition development that SHOULD be deployed would be missed. I should note that we are working on automated deployment thru DLM Automation, it's still a work in progress. Is there a best practice documented for this scenario using automation, or is this a manual step? I can't be the first one to encounter this? Thanks in advance for any input.
Tagged:

Comments

• Harry FrankishHarry Frankish Posts: 53 New member
    Hi krshort

Unfortunately there's currently no way for SQL Compare to include new objects while excluding existing objects. Please could you add your idea to our UserVoice so others can vote for it? We use UserVoice to help us decide what to work on next.

A possible workaround would be to deploy the 2017 boundaries to your development database (linked to source control) and commit them so your dates in source control are in sync with production.

Many thanks
    Harry
  • krshortkrshort Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    Thanks, Harry, for the response. As I stated earlier, we are attempting to implement DLM Automation, and this partitioning issue (among other things) has prevented us from becoming fully automated. However, your workaround suggestion did give me another idea. Syncing the boundaries in source control with current prod just prior to build/deploy just might do it. I'll give it some thought. I would welcome any other suggestions from Red Gate users. I have to believe that someone out there has come up with the 'brilliantly elegant' solution!!