SQL Prompt 8.0.1.1383 crashes with SSMS2016

I'm faced with the issue, when using most recent version of SQL Prompt.
While connecting to any sql server it crashes with the following erorr:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Error connecting to '***'.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Shared.SQL, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (RedGate.SharedSSMS.2016)

BUTTONS:

OK
Tagged:

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hi nightwind,

I have logged a support ticket for you and will email you shortly!
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Hello,
    I am facing the same issue since this morning. Was working fine last week. Has there been any updates on this issue?

Thank you
  • b4ndtb4ndt Posts: 1
    edited June 6, 2017 10:21AM
    When I use SQL Server management studio, I get the same Error;

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------
    Error connecting to '(local)\'.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Shared.SQL, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (RedGate.SharedSSMS.2017)

BUTTONS:

OK

===================================

Error connecting to '(local)\'.

Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Shared.SQL, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (RedGate.SharedSSMS.2017)

Program Location:

at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorerShared.#5urd(INodeInformation #iAPb)
    at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorerShared.#UXc(INodeInformation #iAPb)
    at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorer2012Plus.#P7i(INodeInformation #iAPb)
    at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorer2012Plus.#97c(Object #Zsf, TreeViewEventArgs #9Z)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeViewEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnSelected(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LazyTreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ReflectMessageInternal(IntPtr hWnd, Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmNotify(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ParkingWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(Message& m)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.LazyTreeView.WndProc(Message& m)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.SendMessage(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32 msg, Int32 wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.set_SelectedNode(TreeNode value)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorerControl.AddHierarchy(SqlOlapConnectionInfoBase info, IExplorerHierarchy hierarchy)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer.ObjectExplorerService.ConnectToServer(UIConnectionInfo connectionInfo, IDbConnection liveConnection, Boolean validateConnection)

• Hi, I get the same error.
    Did anyone manage to resolve this?
  • not yet. still waiting for reply from support team.
    edited June 7, 2017 10:00AM
    Hi there,

I am working on this ticket and having a hard time replicating it. Our development team is helping me with this.

We were wondering if you can uninstall SQL Prompt and reinstall again: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLPrompt/24May2017/SQLPrompt_8.0.1.1383.zip

Does that work at all?

We are looking into your log file @nightwind and we are working on it.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
  • Hi,

I tried uninstalling SQL Prompt and installing the provided Version, now I can run queries but I get the same error when trying to expand the database.

thanks
    Hi KCM,

Our development team is looking into this issue. I will update this thread as soon as I have an update.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
  • Same issue with me. SQLprompt works fine with the text window but as soon as you connect to a server in Object Explorer of SSMS 2016, SQLprompt errors out with that exact same message.
  • S SaundersS Saunders Posts: 8 Bronze 1
    I'm having the same issue in SSMS v17.1
  • maddocmaddoc Posts: 8 New member
    edited June 12, 2017 10:49AM
    Since upgrading to v8 getting the following error in ssms2016 and 2017:
    6ngbx0h29pow.png

After clicking ok ssms2017 crashes.
  • Just installed the Redgate SQL Prompt 8 and getting the same problem. What a waste of my time to troubleshoot my time over this product. Redgate should test their product before releasing to general public.

• ===================================

Error connecting to 'SQL server name here'.

Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Shared.SQL, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (RedGate.SharedSSMS.2016)

Program Location:

at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorerShared.#5urd(INodeInformation #iAPb)
    at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorerShared.#UXc(INodeInformation #iAPb)
    at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorer2012Plus.#P7i(INodeInformation #iAPb)
    at RedGate.SharedSSMS.VersionSpecific.ObjectExplorer2012Plus.#97c(Object #Zsf, TreeViewEventArgs #9Z)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeViewEventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, TreeViewEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnAfterSelect(TreeViewEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnSelected(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ReflectMessageInternal(IntPtr hWnd, Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmNotify(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ParkingWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.DefWndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SendMessage(Int32 msg, Int32 wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.set_SelectedNode(TreeNode value)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorerControl.AddHierarchy(SqlOlapConnectionInfoBase info, IExplorerHierarchy hierarchy)
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer.ObjectExplorerService.ConnectToServer(UIConnectionInfo connectionInfo, IDbConnection liveConnection, Boolean validateConnection)

• MyanmarMyanmar Posts: 6
    edited June 13, 2017 8:41PM
    edited June 14, 2017 10:33AM
    Hi All,

Apologies for the delay but our team was working hard to find the root cause of the issue.

We think SQL Search was causing this issue and hence released a new version of it.

Can you please try this and let us know if this solves the issue for you?

Link to SQL Search installer here!

Hope this works for you guys :)
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
  • S SaundersS Saunders Posts: 8 Bronze 1
    Looks like that's worked, cheers :smiley:
  • i run the SQL Search installer from above link from Anu D (above) and re-installed Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (Release 16.5.3). Now I don't see any problem. Thank you so much for your help! :smile:
  • taiwoataiwoa Posts: 2 New member
    I do not get any verbose information indicating that SQL Prompt is the cause of SSMS 2016 frequent crash es (as frequently as every 30 minutes when I;m actively using SSMS). However, the frequent crashes started occurring AFTER I installed SQL Prompt 8. The file at https://files.red-gate.com/message/34rrxc7OllBF5xFJ8h16pc is no longer available.

How can I better troubleshoot this issue?
    edited July 3, 2017 9:56AM
    Hi taiwoa,

Thanks for your post and apologies for the issue you are having.

Does this link work for you: Download here?

Does this solve the issue for you?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
  • maddocmaddoc Posts: 8 New member
    Uninstalling SQL Search and installing the new version - solved the problem for me.
    Thanks.
  • wschillowschillo Posts: 4 New member
    Same here!
  • wschillowschillo Posts: 4 New member
    8.0.2.1508 still having the same problem.
    Hi Wayne,

Do you see the same issue with the latest version: ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLPrompt/20Jul2017/SQLPrompt_8.0.6.1890.zip?

Let me know if this helps!
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.