Options

SQL Prompt 7.5.1.1000 not showing up in SSMS 17.0 RC3

Installed SSMS 17.0 RC3 and can't get SQL Prompt (latest version) to show up.
Already have SSMS 16.5.3 installed and SQL Prompt works there.
Please don't tell me to uninstall and reinstall!!!
Tried just running the 7.5.1.1000 installer but it just says that it's already installed and I can't get past the first dialogue box.
Tried doing a 'repair' from Control Panel = Programs+Features... but the installer just hung for over 30 mins. Cancelling it caused the 'Cancel Install' to just hang for over 30 mins.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Hi Curtis,

Sorry to hear that SQL Prompt isn't working for you in SSMS 2017 RC3, and that repairing it didn't work.

I tried to reproduce your problem but SQL Prompt installs successfully on a clean Windows Server 2012r2 SSMS 2017 RC3 virtual machine.

What happened when you uninstalled the first time? Or are you saying that we should be able to install into SSMS 17.0 RC3 without uninstalling?

Best wishes,

Michael Clark
    Technical Lead, SQL Prompt
    Michael Clark
    Technical Lead, SQL Monitor
  • Options
    CurtisGregsonCurtisGregson Posts: 7 New member
    Hi Michael..

Just to clarify....
    I have SSMS 16.5.3 installed with SQLPrompt 7.5.1.1000 installed.
    Everything works.
    Next...
    I installed SSMS 17.0 RC3.
    (Microsoft claims that SSMS 17.0 RC3 can be installed along side SSMS 16.5.3)

SQL Prompt does not appear in the SSMS 17 RC3 install. (it does still appear in SSMS 16.5.3)
    I then tried a 'RE-install' of SQL Prompt to see if it would get 'added' to SSMS 17 RC3.
    But the install stops at the first dialogue box telling me that SQL Prompt is already installed.
    Nothing else can be done.

So...

Do I to have to 'UN-install' SQL Prompt (UGH!!!) and then 'Install' SQL Prompt again (UGH!!!!) to get it to work?
    I hate the idea of UN-installing working software, just to see if it will work with other software upon another 'Install'. (seems so 1990's)
    If this is the solution... then is there documentation somewhere that clearly states this?
  • Options
    I have the same problem. I installed the update, but it failed because it could not stop sums. I had to shut down and restart to clear that problem. Now when I try to install Prompt, I am told it i already installed, but it does not appear in SQL Server 2016
  • Options
    MagnaFredMagnaFred Posts: 7 Bronze 2
    I have the same problem. I have uninstalled SQL Prompt and then tried to reinstalled, but I get the error message "This extension is already installed to all applicable products." I even have reboot the computer and I get the same message.
  • Options
    I have tested this on today's SSMS 17 and can confirm that the SQL Prompt installer does not pick up the additional SSMS version if you install the same version again.

24ecifdxts7j.png

However uninstalling and reinstalling worked on SSMS 2017 as a workaround so it is worth trying that if you haven't already.

We have logged a support issue for this under reference SP-6255
    Michael Clark
    Technical Lead, SQL Monitor
  • Options
    evdinursanevdinursan Posts: 2 New member
    I uninstalled SQL Prompt and I'm trying to reinstall the latest version having only SSMS 17 (release version) installed on my computer. It's not working. Please, see the attached screenshot. There is any beta version available with support for SSMS 17?

Thank you

h78a8dlosu4x.png
  • Options
    evdinursanevdinursan Posts: 2 New member
    Hello again,

I installed this version: https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/80851/latest-stable-build-of-sql-prompt-is-7-5-1-11th-april#latest and now everything is working fine :smiley:

Thank you.
    Evdin