Activation issues

hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
edited March 20, 2017 11:40AM in SQL Data Compare 11
We try to run the data compare and it wants us to activate it. We try to activate and it says we do not have access to registry. If we run data compare as "Administrator" is runs fine and is activated all ready. How can I run data compare as me, and not run into the activation issue? Any idea how to trouble shoot this?

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi and thanks for your post!

You'd need to make sure you have registry access to the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeThingummy SoftwareLicensingSQL Compare11.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWow6432NodeRed GateLicensingSQL Compare11.0

If the error persists after getting permissions to these keys though, it may help to get a procmon trace to see where else the permissions issues are coming up--please let us know!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
    The administrators role has full control in both of these locations.
    I added me individually to both of these locations with full control and I still get the Trial license has expired message when I launch without running as administrator..
    Thanks for checking that!

Can you kindly gather a Procmon trace which will show us which registry keys the applications are trying to access when you try to activate and may show where it is failing? Please:
    - Download Process Monitor from here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... 96645.aspx
    - Unzip the file and run Procmon.exe
    - Once it opens with the Process Monitor Filter window, Click OK to begin the trace (you don't need to add any filters)
    - Once it starts, try activating again
    - Go back to Procmon and File>Save
    - Send us the saved .pml file via this link: https://files.red-gate.com/requests/sHQ ... 5lqsMMkXdd and let me know once you've sent it

• hbucknerhbuckner Posts: 67 Bronze 3
    We upgraded to version 12 and that worked.
    That's great to hear, thanks for the update!