How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

REPORTS - Test Email works, Scheduled Email does NOT work

SteveMSteveM Posts: 8
edited March 8, 2017 5:14AM in Redgate Monitor
Hi all,

I've been playing around with the new Reporting interface in SQL Monitor, and something's not working for me.

I'm able to create / edit, and save reports.

I'm able to successfully send / receive a test email through the report scheduler interface.

However, I'm not able to send / receive an emailed copy of my report on a schedule.

No errors, just nothing seems to be firing off as scheduled, and nothing's showing up in my inbox.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

-Steve
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PeterOCPeterOC Posts: 5 New member
    Hi Steve,
    Yeah, same issue here.
    I think this may be resolved in the latest update 7.0.4 but I've not tested as yet.

-Peter
  • Options
    Really strange! I've checked all the SMTP and relay settings, everything looks up to snuff. No errors in any of the event logs either.

Too bad, because there's definitely a real opportunity (at least at my company) to get some eyes on the product suite by movers / shakers that might not otherwise be aware of the RedGate toolset.
  • Options
    Russell DRussell D Posts: 1,324 Diamond 5
    Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay in a response on this. Are you still having this issue? If so could you send your logs into support@red-gate.com so we can investigate?
    Have you visited our Help Centre?
  • Options
    TUellnerTUellner Posts: 56 Bronze 5
    Has there been a resolution on this? I've seen the same thing since 7.x I can send a test but it never sends on a schedule. In fact, if I try to change the schedule from daily to weekly and save it, when I open it again it's back to daily.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2018 4:11PM
    We haven't yet received logs or actual emails from anyone regarding this yet so its not on our worklist. If you can reliably reproduce this in 7.1.16 please send in the reproduction and logs.

Also for those using IIS make sure you've enabled Application Initialization: https://documentation.red-gate.com/sm7/getting-started/installing/choosing-the-web-server/enabling-application-initialization-in-iis as this is the most common cause of scheduled emails not working.
  • Options
    Hi Russell,

Here are the log files from my install of SQL Monitor. We're on the latest version. Note, this used to work with the initial test release. It stopped working in 7.x. We are running with the default IIS Express selection from the installation of SQL Monitor. We also still have the issue of the settings not sticking when we change the schedule. Change it, click save and go back to the settings and nothing has changed.

As far as I can tell, the document listed above talks about full IIS and not express. Do you has specific instructions for IIS Express since that is the Redgate default install? If I'm missing something please let me know.

-Tom
  • Options
    Hi Russell,

To add a little more to the strange goings on, I just went to Reports and pulled up the report I have saved and it lost settings for several tiles. I had graphs of average disk read/write times for several servers and they were all blank. When I edited them, I could see that it saved the server name but they all had defaulted to the first server in the list and all drives. I had to fix each tile and save it again to get back to where I was.

-Tom
  • Options
    @TUellner if you're using IIS Express (built in) then the above doesn't apply, so it would seem you have a different issue. I'll take a look through the logs.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2018 3:54PM
    Ok well you've a ton of errors from the ReportPoller: RedGate.Response.UI.Website.ReportPoller - System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. So you're not going to be able to get scheduled reports because the traffic is being refused.

Does your mail server require secure authentication and you're trying to send anonymously?

What type of mail server are you using? If its in house I'd recommend using Telnet to ensure the port is usable, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995718(v=exchg.65).aspx.

Failing that we might need to see the mail server logs.
  • Options
    If I'm reading the logs correctly, the errors are all from July when the server was setup and networking forgot to allow the server to send email. We regularly get alert emails from this machine. Shouldn't the reports be using the same credentials as the alerts?
  • Options
    I think emailing the report may be working now. I checked notification settings one more time and changed the URL Setting because it was still referring to the old server. I know this should only affect what is on an email alert as a link but shortly after making the change and saving it, I received an email with my report in it. I will see if it sends a report tomorrow morning. Report settings for when to email still don't stick.
  • Options
    It is emailing reports on schedule now but there is still the problem of not being able to change the schedule. Here's what I am doing.

With the report selected, click on the gear icon.
    Click on Edit Report
    Change "Send report of last 7 Days every Day"
    to "Send report of last 7 Days every Week"
    I leave the time set to 08:00 and click Save.
    If I go back into Edit Report it is back to "Send report of last 7 Days every Day".

I'm glad the email of the report is working but I really only want this Monday morning not every day.
  • Options
    Yeah this is easily reproduced in our current debug build as well. I'll raise an issue for it.
  • Options
    We've pushed a fix for this into 7.1.18. This should be a few weeks away.
  • Options
    Thank you Russell. Much appreciated.