Options

SSMS 2016 Updates break source control

GLWRedGateGLWRedGate Posts: 4
edited January 25, 2017 4:54AM in SQL Source Control
With SSMS 2016 updates on the new (release often) schedule - every time I get an update, Source Control (5.3.3.3431) Revision 21264 goes missing in SSMS.

I then have to play games with Windows Control Panel (repair) and/or run the Source Control setup exe - jerk around with these until, if I'm lucky, I get source control to show up again in SSMS 2016.

Could Red-Gate support and MSFT please talk and figure this out? Many thanks.

Oh and if anyone has any constructive ideas please pass along.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Thanks for your post and so sorry to hear you're running into issues with SQL Source Control!

Strangely, I don't think we've seen many reports of SSMS 2016 updates causing SQL Source Control to go missing (we often see issues with new installs of SSMS 2016 though, as you do need to reinstall/repair to apply the plugin to the new install).

In this case though, it sounds like it may be the "SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1" program that is getting corrupted after each update- this is what actually integrates the plugin into SSMS.

Can I just check--do you happen to have logging already enabled for SQL Source Control (as descibed here -
    https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... +log+files)? If so, can you kindly zip up and send across your logs so that we can take a look for any details on why the add-in doesn't load?

If not though, can you please enable logging and then send across your log file if/when you next see this?

(Just a note: SSMS 2016 v17.0 RC1 is not yet supported so it may be expected for SQL Source Control to be missing if you have this installed.)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Jessica,
    thank you for your post. I will enable log and send file/s with next upgrade should Source Control go missing again. Many thanks!
  • Options
    just a quick update; there hasn't been a new release yet so I'm waiting...
  • Options
    ThoschVXThoschVX Posts: 5 Bronze 2
    I've got the same problem. :shock:
    Any info when this issue will be fixed?
    (I'm using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio - 13.0.16105.4 - Version 16.105.4)