Options

Adding views even if some fail

esackesack Posts: 5
edited November 23, 2016 1:22AM in SQL Source Control
Is there a way to set SQL source control to create views even if one of the views fails? I am using your software trail to see if it is a good fit for our company and we have some views that need to be clean out but I rather not do that now.

Thanks

Eli

Comments

• Options
    Hey Eli,

Thanks for contacting us! Below is just a copy paste of what I sent via email.

I'm afraid I am not following - you have committed views to the repository, then you are trying to Get them from the repository on another database, and it is failing - is that correct?

If you are trying to use it for deployments (from database to database, or repository to database) - I recommend you use SQL Compare instead - as you can be more selective about what you deploy and how, and there is better visibility for what you are actually deploying.

I recommend you try it out if you have not already. http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... l-compare/

Warm Regards
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I am also trying out SQL compare but this question is for development using the SQL Source Control. The issue is that the DB has a number of old views and stored procedures that are saved if you would run them today on the original DB it will also fail but the SQL Source Control added them to be run. I am trying to test the source control functionality and after creating a new DB the views and SP fail and I assume the transaction is rolled back. My question is if there is a setting or a way I can run the "get latest" and it will commit all scripts that did not fail. Then I can come manually and fix the ones that did not work. What I did right now is I put all the failing stuff into the filter to be ignored.

Second I would like to know if I can create a filter checking the actual script i.e. if it contains "FROM dbo.Lots" it should be exclude.

Thanks for your help

Eli