Version 7.2.4.291 Azure Intellisense

DWJenkinsDWJenkins Posts: 4 New member
edited January 13, 2017 11:48AM in SQL Prompt
Hi there,

I can't seem to get my SQL Prompt Version 7.2.4.291 to work in Azure. I have refreshed the cache multiple times, it doesn't see the database and as a result nothing in it. I can see all objects in the explorer window and my query window is created against the database.

Weird as my colleague is having no issues and the setup is exactly the same!

Regards,

Dave.

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Dave,

If you navigate to the log (under SQL Prompt->Help->Show Log) after refreshing suggestions do you see any warnings or errors listed?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • DWJenkinsDWJenkins Posts: 4 New member
    Hi Aaron,

Thank you, I didn't know about the logs!

It's given me a pointer that it cant login. I've got my trusty DBA looking into it and checking all the relevant permissions.

Regards,

Dave.
  • DWJenkinsDWJenkins Posts: 4 New member
    Actually, we're a bit stumped.

This is the test from the error log:
    28 Oct 2016 10:12:04,698 [56] WARN RedGate.SqlPrompt.Cache.Candidates.ServerCandidate - Failed to load server XXXX
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open server "XXX" requested by the login. The login failed.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
    at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
    at ..(ConnectionProperties )
    at ..()
    at ..()
    ClientConnectionId:4effdc05-c687-44d3-9b59-ab27cb26f71f
    Error Number:40532,State:1,Class:20

Is this because we are using "Active Directory Password Authentication"? and it's detecting everything after the @ symbol?

When we use SQL Server Authentication method on a different login, we get no error. However, we need to do "Active Directory Password Authentication".

Regards,

Dave.
    Hi Dave,

Unfortunately SQL Prompt doesn't currently support Azure Active Directory Authentication, it's something we're planning to release support for soon however.

We've literally just merged in the first set of changes that should allow for SQL Prompt to offer suggestions using Azure AD, but we haven't finished testing against it yet (and it's just suggestions, no other features like smart rename or find invalid objects). If you don't mind being a guinea pig I could send you a private build to try out?

The related UserVoice request for it is here - if you vote against it you'll get a notification when release a public build with support in.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • I'm having the same issue as OP and am willing to be a guinea pig. :)
    Hi dillecd,

The latest beta build supports both Azure Active Directory password and integrated authentication methods, you can download it from the forum post here.

We're still investigating adding support for the new Azure AD universal authentication however, so if you're using universal authentication please let me know and we might be able to send you a private build soon.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Thanks! I'm using password auth so I've downloaded and installed the beta. Loving it so far.
  • Can you send me the private build for Azure AD Universal Authentication?
    Thanks,
    Jeremy
  • Hi Aaron -

We are currently using Active Directory Universal Authentication and cannot get SQL Prompt to work properly. Is the "private build" (that supports this authentication method) you mentioned available?

Thanks -

Kyle
  • Hi Kyle and Jeremy

The private build for Azure Active Directory Universal Authentication is here: http://download.red-gate.com/EAP/SQLPro ... .0.235.exe

Please let us know if you have any problems with it.

Cheers
    Harry