Options

Feature Enhancements

lozzamoorelozzamoore Posts: 4
edited March 5, 2009 12:02PM in SQL Multi Script
This tool has the potential to be a great tool, but falls short for us in a number of areas.

1) Need method to pick only a particular database on a server to run the scripts against.

2) Need a method of saving and loading precompiled lists of scripts and server.database combinations.

For example, we would like to pre-package a set of scripts to run against a list of databases and recall these as a "pack" at any time.

Regards,
LozzaMoore

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

You can pick the database you wish to run the script against by clicking the small + next the the server in the "configure database distribution list" dialog. This should show you a list of the database on that server. These can then be added to your distribution list.

We are already considering added your 2nd piece of feedback to SQL Multi Script in a future release.

Cheers,
    --
    Daniel
  • Options
    Thanks. Picking a particular database works well.

Please provide a timescale for when you anticipate this "consideration" will be rejected or approved?

I understand it has been in "consideration" for some time now.

Been reviewing a number of other products, such as DB Multirun which does have this feature.

http://www.datanamic.com/multirun/

Thanks,
  • Options
    Hi lozzamoore,

The feature you describe has definitely been 'approved', in that it's something we want to do. We don't currently have a date for the next release of SQL Multi Script, but as soon as we have one we'll update the public roadmap here.

Note that SQL Multi Script research is on-going, and I'll be running a survey shortly on this, which will hopefully confirm my findings to date.

Best regards,

Colin.
  • Options
    Hi I agree, the tool is definitely a good start in the right direction.

One thing I would like to see is better file management.
    eg. when the files get modified from another source, I would like the tool to pick up on these, and ask to apply or ignore these changes. (as I usually use a different editor)

Or a way to revert all files.
    Also some statistics in running time would be nice.

thnx
  • Options
    Just thought of another one...

A save button to save a group of files into a configuration of sorts. So that you can have a number of multi-scripts which you can reload.
  • Options
    klokkie wrote:
    A save button to save a group of files into a configuration of sorts. So that you can have a number of multi-scripts which you can reload.
    We're referring to this internally as 'projects', since we have similar functionality in SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare. This is another feature that we're considering for a future release.

Thanks for the input!

Colin.
  • Options
    We have come to use Multiscript a lot in the past 6 months and its turned into a lifesaver for our larger bundled projects. The only thing I'd like to see in a future build is timestamps for executions. We run a lot of migration scripts and we have a plethora of test environments and in order to gauge our outage times, it would be nice to timestamp the start and end of the script executions individually.