Options

Support markdown in MS_Description extended property

Bart ReadBart Read Posts: 997 Silver 1
edited October 17, 2016 5:51AM in SQL Doc
Hi there,

So I've been digging around trying to find the best way to add documentation to sprocs. As much as it's arduous and tiresome the best way seems to be using the MS_Description extended property, both on the procedure, and its parameters.

I did read this on Simple-Talk: https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/t-sql-p ... -database/. The thing is I *really* do not love the YAML suggestion. When I write documentation what I want is to *write* and, moreover, write something that's as close to plain English as possible. Now it's useful - even essential - to put some formatting in, but I want to do that in as low a touch way as possible.

I think the absolute best option from this point of view is markdown. If I write markdown into MS_Description what I'd like is for SQL Doc to process that markdown into formatted text in the HTML, Word, or whatever output.

Btw, I don't actually use SQL Doc to write the documentation - I put this directly into my script - just to generate a nicely formatted output.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Bart Read
Principal Consultant
bartread.com Ltd

Comments

• Options
    Hi Bart,

Thanks for posting on the Redgate forums.

I have raised this with the development team under internal reference SDOC-1786. I will update you when I get any further information.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software