Options

Reporting 'Changes' with no actual changes

dsbertdsbert Posts: 14 Bronze 2
edited November 3, 2016 11:35AM in SQL Source Control
I linked a SQL 2014 database to a local git repo. After making the initial commit and modifying a single table, SQL Source reports 251 objects have changed. I see the actual change that I made to the table, but I also see 250 other Edits. If I check in all of these changes and review the actual git log, I can see that only the table was checked in.

I attempted reloading the repository from scratch. After making the initial check-in, I made no further changes. When checking against the repo, SQL Source again reports 251 objects have changed. When I try to commit the changes, SQL Source reports the commit failed because nothing actually changed. Now when I go to the Get latest tab, SQL Source reports 251 objects have changed in the repo compared to the database.

If I apply these changes back to the database, the application reports success. However, the next time I refresh either the Commit or Get Latest tab, I now receive an error message.
Failed to update file from source control: [DatabaseObjectId: Name=AddFileGroupToDatabase, Owner=DBTools, ObjectType=Stored Procedure].

Why is SQL Source reporting that things have changed when that is not the case? Why does applying these non-existent changes break source control?

Comments

• Options
    Dsbert,

Thanks for contacting us and sorry you are having this issue- below is just a copy paste of what I sent via email.

I believe this may have to do with line ending characters- what version of SQL Source Control are you using currently?
    Would you be able to test this with the latest Frequent Updates version? http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... nt+Updates
    Can you send in a screenshot of what you are seeing in Source Control?
    Do you see this with any other databases that you have linked?
    Would you be able to send in one of the scripts directly from the Git repo and another directly from the database (script as Create to file)?

Thanks for your help!

Warmly,
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I had the same problem. Turning on frequent updates and updating SSC from 5.3.0 to 5.3.3 fixed the "no-diff diffs" issue.