Options

DLM Automation releasing to multiple environments...

ewomackewomack Posts: 15
edited October 13, 2016 10:51AM in DLM Automation
Hello,

I am setting up DLM Automation with Visual Team Services 2015 to build and release the same build to multiple environments. For example, I have a Dev environment that uses specific accounts and occassionally a different table name. I also have a PreProduction and environment that uses different accounts and different occassional table name changes.

Are there best practices around releasing to lower environments and releasing only the accounts needed in those environments versus releasing to PreProduction with only the accounts that that environment needs?

For example, when I release to Dev, I want it to release an account called "Dev" and when I release to PreProduction I want it to release an account called "PreProd" and NOT release the "Dev." I hope I'm making sense.

Do people typically use a RedGate tool for these transforms or can this be done with SQL database detection within the scripts themselves? Or is this a job for PowerShell?

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your support request.

The DLM Automation does not support releasing to multiple environments. However as you are using Visual Team Services, you can trying adding a post-script to achieve your goal, using powerShell or sqlcmd to if deploying to PreProd use account_y.

I hope the above helps.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Thank you, that does help. I am currently going through the PowerShell cmdlets (I ran into an issue which I outlined on a separate post).

Can you elaborate on the "account_y" that you mentioned in your previous post?

Thank you!