Options

SSMS Outline Statements/Code Collapse

ccallisccallis Posts: 4
edited October 4, 2016 2:29AM in SQL Prompt
Immediately following the install of SQL Prompt the SSMS built in function to "Outline Statements" (collapse blocks of codes from a -/+ along the left margin) no longer operates...despite actually being checked in the SSMS-Tools-Options -- Text Editor-Intellisense option page.

Even following a reboot this feature remains unavailable.

Comments

• Options
    Hi ccallis,

I assume you're talking about this:
    wS03XZY.png

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce this - could you let me know which version of SQL Prompt and SSMS you're running? Are there any other plugins to SSMS that you're using that might be interfering?

Best regards,

David
  • Options
    Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about.
    I am running SQL Prompt Version 7.1.0.315
    on SSMS 12.0.2000.8

What I get is this:
    nooutline_zpsj8elfpag.png

I have had occasion to completely reboot since the install of SQL Prompt and this condition persists.
    I have check to insure that the correct option is selected in SSMS Options.
    I have also checked with a colleague who recently installed SQL Prompt and he is not experiencing the same issue...
    ...so there is just something 'not right' in my setup.
  • Options
    Hi ccallis,

Would it be possible to uninstall SQL Prompt temporarily to see if the problem persists when it isn't installed?

Best regards,

David
  • Options
    :oops: Ok well color me embarrassed :oops:

After uninstalling the problem persisted...so I did some additional troubleshooting to be reminded that in addition to activating SQL Prompt I had changed to open queries in SQLCMD mode...and this was the real culprit.

Thanks so much for your assistance!
  • Options
    Hi ccalis,

Thanks for letting us know! We didn't know about SQLCMD mode disabling collapsing of code blocks.

Do let us know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

David
  • Options
    mrwww76mrwww76 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    edited September 6, 2019 2:43PM
    I know this post is a little dated, but just wanted to let everyone looking for a solution to know this still occurs in SSMS 18.1.  Unchecking SQLCMD Mode in the Query Execution Options will indeed restore the collapsible regions features of SSMS upon restart of the application.

I did not have to uninstall SQL Prompt

• Options
    Today I stumbled upon a limitation that was keeping this feature from working in SSMS 18.4 .  The keyboard short cut for INCLUDE ACTUAL EXECUTION PLAN = CNTRL+M must be removed in the options so that any CNTRL+M, CNTRL+% chord can work.
  • Options
    Nikos226Nikos226 Posts: 14 New member
    Look into SSMSToolsPack if you want a #region outliner - works great.