Options

DTS Compare - new name?

bdillbdill Posts: 42 Bronze 2
edited February 17, 2005 5:24AM in DTS Compare 1.x
With Microsoft's neverending need to change the names of things (their marketing "gurus" should be shot), Yucon will bring about a name change of our beloved DTS. It will be called SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services).

While the improvements are dramatic, I fail to see the need for renaming it to such a SSIS-y name. :D

Question to red-gate: :?: Will you be renaming the products in the future? If so, how about the following naming scheme:

Current Name
> Suggested Name
SQL Compare
> SQL Schema Compare
SQL Data Compare
> SQL Data Compare (unchanged)
DTS Compare
> SQL Server Compare

Since I first saw the product DTS compare and what it does, I thought that it was misnamed. DTS is only one aspect of the comparison. "SQL Server Compare" is more descriptive of what it does.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

That's funny... the first two versions of DTS Compare were called 'SQL Server Compare' but we changed the name because people were getting it confused with SQL Compare!

SSIS sounds like a good companion for Microsoft's upcoming WUS server. They're probably trying to wrap an acronym around PANSI as we speak!
  • Options
    bdillbdill Posts: 42 Bronze 2
    That is somewhat understandable because "SQL Compare" is an open ended name.

Based on the names I suggested, everything would be
    SQL xxxxxxxx Compare

Where xxxxxxxx = Schema, Data, Server.

Now if someone confuses schema with server, then they just don't know what they are doing, and shouldn't be doing anything SQL related :D
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Tell me about it!
This discussion has been closed.