Options

Error running SQL COmpare 7 for the first time

srowlandssrowlands Posts: 6
edited November 21, 2008 9:56AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I've downloaded and installed SQL Compare 7.1. When I try and run it the splash screen appears and then I get a an error window displayed. This just states that SQL COmpare 7 has encountered a problem and needs to close. The window contains the standard MS 'Debug', 'Send Error Report' and 'Don't Send' buttons.

Clicking 'Debug' throws a second error window same style as the first but this time it states 'RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe' has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Again clicking 'Debug' takes me into VS 2008 and it reports the error as 'Unhandled exception at 0x068779f5 in RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000007'

I did some searching before posting this message and the print spooler is running, the fonts are all installed, .net frameworks 1.1, 2.0 and MDAC 2.8 (SP1) are also installed. The PC is Windows XP Pro (SP3) but was an upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve

Comments

• Options
    Can you try launching the application from a command prompt with an argument to create an error log?

Navigate to the install directory
    e.g. C:/Program Files/Red Gate/SQL Compare 7

Then launch the application including the 2>error.log argument to create a log on a failed execution.
    e.g. RedGate.SQLCompare.UI.exe 2>error.log

Please can you post the results here, or send them to support@red-gate.com.
    Chris
  • Options
    Hi

Thanks for the response, I've done as you've asked and below is the contents of the error.log file.

Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    at System.Drawing.SafeNativeMethods.DocumentProperties(HandleRef hwnd, HandleRef hPrinter, String pDeviceName, IntPtr pDevModeOutput, IntPtr pDevModeInput, Int32 fMode)
    at System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings.GetHdevmodeInternal()
    at System.Drawing.Printing.PrinterSettings.GetHdevmode()
    at System.Drawing.Printing.PageSettings.GetPaperSize(IntPtr modeHandle)
    at System.Drawing.Printing.PageSettings.get_PaperSize()
    at DevExpress.XtraPrinting.Native.PageData..ctor(PageSettings sets, Margins minMargins)
    at DevExpress.XtraPrinting.XtraPageSettings.get_Data()
    at DevExpress.XtraPrinting.XtraPageSettings.set_Landscape(Boolean value)
    at h..ctor()
    at bc.b()
    at bc..ctor()
    at ca.a()
    at cd.b()

Regards

Steve
  • Options
    I've just had a message from our testing team, and they have encountered this error before.

They seem to get this error from time to time when running under VMWare on 64-bit guest operating systems.

Are you also running the tools under VMWare? If not, can you let me know your environment.
    Chris
  • Options
    Hi Chris

I'm not working in a virtual environment, although I did have MS virtual PC and Server 2007 installed. Both have been removed now.

I'm working on an HP DX2300 with 3.25GB of RAM. It originally had Windows 2000 Pro (not sure what service pack) but this was upgraded to Windows XP Pro SP2.

.Net frameworks 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are all installed.

There is a varierty of software installed including MS Visual Studio 2005/2008 and SQL 2005 tools, Office 2003 plus Access 97 :( and a number of MS and non MS apps. If theres something I can run that will give you a more comprehensive list then please let me know.

Steve
  • Options
    It sounds like it might be related to random memory corruption, however if this is the case then it's surprising you haven't noticed it somewhere else.

Is your machine configured to run a memory check on start-up?

Is this a consistent problem after you restart?
    Chris
  • Options
    Hi Chris

I've checked my office pc and there dosn't appear to be an option to turn on any kind of memory test (or turn off fast boot).

I've not experienced any problems with other applications and I have re-downloaded the install from your web site, uninstalled the original version, rebooted, installed the new version and I get the same problem.

I decided to install SQL Compre on one of my test virtual machines I have running on a seperate server, the vm is running windows 2003 server and it installed and runs OK on there.

I can do what I need to do for now with the software installed on the vm.

Would be interested to hear if you come up with any other suggestions though.

Thanks

Steve
  • Options
    You could try reinstalling .net 2.0.
    Chris
  • Options
    I've just had some feedback from the developers with regards to this issue.

The problem seems to be a bug with Dev Express not liking some of the printers installed/not installed.

It might be that we cannot find a work around without upgrading the DevExpress components that we use in our tools, however this would mean a major upgrade of all our applications :(

Would you be able to send me a list of the printers you have installed? Also, I never asked you to confirm the user privileges of your account. Are you using a local admin account?
    Chris
  • Options
    Hi Chris

OK I've found the problem. My default printer was an HP Laser Jet 2100 and I changed this to something else SQL Compare started working.

Thanks for your help

Steve