Options

External References - some Databases not picked up

baggisterbaggister Posts: 5
edited July 28, 2016 11:11AM in SQL Dependency Tracker
Server - 2008R2

Selecting all tables, Stored Procedures, functions, views in a particular database, and in options, ticking everything (ie add objects selected used by, all levels, add objects selected uses, all levels, add external and unresolved), a big list is produced. Clicking Resolve all external, selects those.

However, I note that Stored Procedures in some databases (on same instance) reference a table in our target, but it does not appear on the list. Whereas Stored Procedures in other databases referencing that database do indeed appear on the list. Why is this?

Is there some kind of rule Tracker uses? I have seen a previous issue with Compatibility, but in this case, all databases are SQLServer 2008(100)

Thanks
Baggister

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post and sorry that you have encountered a problem.

What version of SQL Dependency Tracker are you using?

The Windows account that is running SQL Dependency Tracker does it security permissions to the external databases to detect the external reference?

Many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your reply. version is ----> 2.8.1.182

Re ..
    "The Windows account that is running SQL Dependency Tracker does it security permissions to the external databases to detect the external reference?"
    Not sure what you mean here - I run it as myself, and I have enough authority to create and delete tables, SPs etc.

But I suppose I'm a bit unclear exactly what is it supposed to do.
    eg, my target database is TargetDB, and there's a stored procedure called TargetSP
    I have another database on the same server called TestDB and there's a storedprocedure called TestSP, which executes TargetDB..TargetSP
    There are no other relationships between the two.

I add objects to Project, select my server, select TargetDB from the selection of Databases, select only Tables, SPs, Views, Functions (not interested in anything else).
    In options, I see that "Add objects that the selected objects are used by" is already ticked. Fine.
    I also decide to tick "Add objects that the selected objects use ".
    Then finally I also tick "Add External and unresolved references".

1. under the above situation, would you expect TestSP to be on the diagram?
    2. If "add External and unresolved references" was Unticked, would you expect TestSP to be on the diagram?

I also note that there is an option on database level called "Cross-Database Ownership chaining Enabled".
    I noticed that when "Cross-Database Ownership chaining Enabled" is not enabled, some objects do not appear on the diagram.
    3. What is the significance of this option re Redgate Dependency Tracker?

Thanks
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply.

From your reply, I would expect to see TestSP on the diagram, with the options you have enabled.
    If "add External and unresolved references" was Unticked, would not expect TestSP to be on the diagram.

I believe this HELP ARTICLE answers you question on "Cross-Database Ownership chaining Enabled".

Would you please upgrade to V2.8.6.499 of SQL Dependency Tracker using either this LINK or via the Check for updates in the Help menu. I make this request as logging as now been added to SQL Dependency Tracker, Help menu ->Logging ->set the minimum logging level to verbose. Generate your diagram with the required options. The log file may contain an entry as to why the external reference could not be resolved.

A support ticket has bee created for you, the call reference is #70013. Please send an email to support@red-gate.com quoting the call reference, with a copy of the log file attached. I can then review the log file.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com