Options

SQLSourceControl Database Revision is not being updated

GiorgiGiorgi Posts: 18 Bronze 3
edited August 8, 2016 6:51AM in SQL Source Control
After upgrading to SQL Source Control 5, extended property "SQLSourceControl Database Revision" is not being updated with "Commit" and "Get latest" commands

Comments

• Options
    Sergio RSergio R Posts: 610 Rose Gold 5
    HI Giorgi,

SQL Source Control 5 no longer uses the DB extended properties so that behavior is expected.

The "SQLSourceControl Database Revision" extended property was used for Migration scripts. Migration has been overhauled in version 5 and it no longer relies on this extended property.

Thank you,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • Options
    Thank You for your reply,
    But why then these extended properties appear in deployment scripts generated by SQL Compare command line?

Thank You,
  • Options
    Hi Giorgi,

What version of SQL Compare are you using?

Thank you,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options
    Hi Sergio,
    I am using SQL Compare 11.6.7.2123

Thanks you,
    Giorgi
  • Options
    As far as I've seen, there is a frequent update to 11.6.10.2352 version, I've updated and tested that version, but with same result:
    At the end of the script there is a block with update of all of the 3 database extended properties

Thank you,
    Giorgi
  • Options
    Hi Giorgi,

Does the same thing happen if you generate the script from the User Interface?

What type of source are you using? A live DB or scripts folder?

If it is a scripts folder do you have nay migration scripts?

Thank you,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options
    HI Sergio,
    With UI there is the same issue,
    I am doing it with "Source ControlDirect from source control" for Source and Target, Comparing Head revision for source and some lower Revision for target

Thank you,
    Giorgi
  • Options
    Hi Giorgi,

I have tested this in my lab, after updating SQL Source Control to version 5 and having updated the migration scripts, SQL Compare no longer scripts database extended properties.

Thank you,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options
    Can the 'SQLSourceControl Database Revision' extended property now be safely deleted? It's rather disconcerting to see an out-of-date revision number displayed after a SQL Compare session!

What about the two other properties:
    > SQLSourceControl Migration Scripts Location
    > SQLSourceControl Scripts Location
    Are these still used, or can they too be deleted?

Thanks

Peter
  • Options
    Hi Peter,

Those extended properties were only used for migrations v1, so if you're no longer using that then you're free to delete those extended properties.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    timetrak_awtimetrak_aw Posts: 3 New member
    This was a very surprising change, especially since there was no specific mention in any of the release notes. I understand the need to remove obsolete functionality, but you've inadvertently removed something that was a very useful feature of the source control product.

We have been using the extended property in order to determine what version an installed database is at, so our product bootstrap installer can upgrade the user to the right revision level. For example, if a customer is two releases behind, we can see they are at revision "A", and we know that "C" is current, so we run A_B and B_C upgrade packages to get them up to date.

Since we don't know what revision number changes are going to be until after they are committed, it would be very helpful if we could specify an extended property name somewhere and have the commit process update that extended property, similar to what was happening with the migration script system.

I think it would also help if the current revision level was displayed at all times somewhere in the UI, rather than just after the check-in. A good location could be following the database name on the Commit and Get Latest tabs.
  • Options
    Hi timetrak_aw,

Thanks for your feedback.

Could you please post your idea on our uservoice forum?

https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/39 ... ce-control

This forum is monitored by the Product Management team who use it as an important source when deciding what features to add or to enhance in the tool.

Thank you,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options
    Hello Sergio,
    I agree absolutely to timetrak_aw, Revision number is nice means to control at what point is production db.
    But besides that, I tried to remove Revision extended property, but source control has done strange thing, after that, I saw all the old migration scripts in my "Get Latest" tab
    So as I see our upgrade to SC 5 was something like half an upgrade, and some parts of logic in SC and SQL Compare think that they are working as old versions

Thank you