Options

List of scripts to execute missing

Luke LLuke L Posts: 43 Bronze 3
edited October 17, 2016 10:54AM in SQL Multi Script
I upgraded to MS 1.2.5.447 recently from 1.1 When I open Multiscript I no longer see the list of scripts to execute as I previously did. Each time I have to add them. I tried to save them as a project and I receive the same experience.
If I open the project from within Multiscript I get the listing of scripts and am able to choose which to run. Is there a way to define a default project so that it loads all the scripts I need (which is basically the same experience as the 1.1 version)? A open recent projects shortcut would be useful as well. If I have to re-open a project each time, it requires more clicks and slows me down.

Also, I removed the application.dat file to re-import my old settings and I still don't see the scripts when I first open multiscript.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thanks,
-Luke.

Comments

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi Luke,

I see what you mean - there is no default project or 'start where i left off' type option. The distribution lists remain in the dropdown box at the top right (for me at least) but you need to go and open the project containing the scripts you want to run. I've raised that as SE-703 but do not currently have a time frame for when the issue may be addressed.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    Thanks for the update. Yes I've worked around this by creating project and pointing my shortcut to that project. But a recent projects list or the ability to set a default project would be very nice. Also, it would be great if the scripts added to a project didn't need to be renamed to have the project name prepended to the script name. Or if that was requested to keep the scripts together on the file system (which I understand) do we need all the extract characters in the scripts to execute list? it seems repetitive that I already know which project I opened and then I need to read past that name for each script again when I'm looking for the correct one to execute.

Thanks again,
    -Luke.
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,132 Diamond 4
    Hi Luke,

I think it does this so that if you save it out you know to which project it is associated and also if you have the scripts alongside the project you know to which project they belong. If you import a .sql script it will keep it's original filename as long as the .sql script is not in the same folder as the SQL MultiScript project file and also if you right click on one of the scripts and save it out to file in a different folder, it will keep the name you save it as.

For example I have a project called "Test" and my first script is "Test_script1.sql" - if I then right click on this script and click Save As and save it as "Bob.sql" to a separate folder from the Test.smsproj it then shows as "Bob.sql in the project. You will have the option when you save the project to save these scripts alongside the project or overwrite them in their original locations - you want to overwrite them in their original locations so they keep their names. You will need to keep the scripts for if you delete them they disappear from the project.

I think this is so that you can choose to save the scripts locally to the SMS project if you want to make changes that not all things using the script will need and keep it in some sort of organised order.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    Hi Luke,

I wanted to update you and let you know that SE-702 (New blank Default Distribution List created each time you open application), SE-703 (Recent projects list in File menu) and SE-704 (No Default project or start where I left off option) have all been addressed as of the latest version 1.2.8 which you can download here.

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    Thanks for the update. I'll take a look!
    Thanks again,
    -Luke.