Backup for a restarted SQL cluster

b.russelb.russel Posts: 2
edited June 21, 2016 6:09PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

After helping a customer after a site crash, I noticed that the SQL backup agent service did not start on its own and caused backups to fail as well as connection issues from the manager. Looking at the support for the error I recived (5148), the cause it well described - It also states:
"You can re-enable the service with the Windows Cluster Administrator tool (Windows Server 2003) or Failover Cluster Management tool (Windows Server 2008).".

Now my question is where do i do this from the failover cluster man? I looked and its nowhere to be found (win2008R2). I am here assuming that it would show under 'Services and applications' registered to the cluster (as opposed to going via DTC to the node and start the actual service).

Thanks in advance
/Boris

NB support page: https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... 500+-+5292

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Boris

Thank you for your forum.

I suspect that the SQL Backup Server components may have not installed correctly for this cluster. Or were never selected to be installed on that node.

The SQL Backup Server Components is cluster aware, so when running the installer the user makes choices to install to the SQL Instance and to install on all nodes for that instance or on each node as required.

Assuming that all nodes were selected, the server components installer, adds the SQL Backup Extended Stored Procedures into the master database for the SQL Instance and copies other required files to each node. Finally creates a resource in the Failover Cluster Manager or Cluster Administrator. The resource manages the start-up of the SQL Backup Agent / SQBCoreService.exe on the node the cluster fails over to.

If the resource is present in the Failover Cluster Manager it will be listed in Services and Applications.

If the resource is not present, you can manually create the resource using the steps below:

Using the Failover Cluster Management tool:
    1.In the left-hand pane, expand the cluster, then expand Services and Applications.
    2.Right-click on the SQL Server group, click Add a Resource, then click Generic Service.
    The New Resource Wizard is displayed.
    3.Select SQL Backup Agent-<instance> from the list then click Next.
    The list is not ordered alphabetically, so you may have to scroll through the entire list to find the SQL Backup Agent-<instance> resource.
    Note: If the SQL Backup Agent service is already clustered, it will not be available in the list.
    4.Click Next on the Confirmation page of the wizard.
    5.Click Finish on the Summary page of the wizard.
    The new resource has now been created (offline) and is listed under Other Resources.
    6.Under Other Resources select SQL Backup Agent-<instance>, then, on the Actions list click Properties for this resource.
    The SQL Backup Agent-<instance> Properties dialog is displayed.
    7.On the General tab, enter the Startup parameters as -i <instance>
    8.On the Dependencies tab, we recommend that you add the SQL Server instance and the physical disk.
    9.On the Policies tab, select the If resource fails, attempt restart on current node option.
    10.On the Advanced Policies tab, ensure that all the nodes in the Possible Owners list are selected.
    11.On the Registry Replication page, add the following registry keys (do not include the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE prefix):
    For all versions of SQL Backup on 32-bit servers, and for SQL Backup 6.4 and later on 64-bit servers:
    SOFTWARERed GateSQL BackupBackupSettings<instance>
    SOFTWARERed GateSQL BackupBackupSettingsGlobal<instance>
    12.Bring the Clustered Resource online.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,
    I followed your directions to add sql backup agent as a clustered source - it did not get added automatically when I installed the service using command line. However, when I failed over the sql service to another node, the sql backup agent did not come online on the other node. The service finally came back online on the node it was installed on. What could be the reason?

Thanks.
    Ajay