Options

Tab History Issues - Search Not Working All the Time

jbrunejbrune Posts: 13 Bronze 1
edited May 16, 2016 5:12AM in SQL Prompt
Let me first say I really like the Tab History feature of SQL Prompt. However, I do occasionally run into issues with it. I believe this most often occurs when I have multiple tabs with the same name, e.g. SQLQuery1.sql. I recently had to go into SavedTabs.db to recover a query I had been working on because it wasn't showing up in All tabs. Has anyone else run into this? Is this a known bug?

I'm on Windows 10, using SSMS 2012, and have ver. 7.1.0.315 of SQLPrompt.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Jbrune,

There's a known issue that sounds similar where a tab is temporarily stuck in a "limbo" of being marked as open by an SSMS that has crashed. This state should be resolved the next time an instance SSMS is started however.

Do you know if the query that search wasn't picking up was an old query, or one you were just working on? Also do you know if you were running multiple instances of SSMS at the time?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. It was an active query I was working on, my PC crashed, and I only had one instance of SSMS running at the time.
  • Options
    Hi jbrune,

That does sound like a very similar bug then, the bug previously only affected people who had turned off the option "Restore open tabs when SSMS starts" (although this should be fixed in the latest build) just to check, do you have that option on or off?

Finally, could you try updating to SQL Prompt 7.2.1 to see if you still have any problems on the latest build?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    Enable Tab History is checked. I will upgrade and let you know if I continue having issues. Thanks.
  • Options
    I upgraded but still see an issue. I took screenshots of my open windows right before and after a hard reboot and I can see one of my queries did not come back. Not sure how to upload images or I would include them.
  • Options
    Hi jbrune,

Feel free to email me the screenshots (aaron.law@red-gate.com)

If this is the same issue you were seeing originally with the tab in SavedTabs.db but not showing up in the search results I'd like to retrieve the entries from SavedTabs.db to see if I can reproduce the issue here - I'll follow up with you over email for how to do this.

Thanks,
    Aaron.