Options

Database Connections fail on upgrade to Version 1.2.4.430

GlynLambGlynLamb Posts: 10
edited May 5, 2016 8:53PM in SQL Multi Script
I have recently upgraded to Version 1.2.4.430 and now have 2 problems

1) Lost my distribution list and am unable to load them because of appdata location change
we have worked around some of this but not ideal. Is there any way to migrate the old Distribution lists.

2) Database connections failing
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

This appears to be failing on most named instance where we have created and Alias in the sql config. It appears to ignore the alias, Have had to update distribution lists with port numbers etc to get the connections to work.
Are we doing something wrong from a migration point of view ?

Glyn

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Glyn,
    Thank you for your forum post.

I believe that the V1.2.4 will pickup the V1.1 .dat file so that the old version distribution lists can be transferred to the V1.2.4. The tol can be found in the installation folder, C:Program Files (x86)Red GateSQL Multi Script 1 and executable is called SQLMultiScriptListExport.exe

As for the connection problem using an Alias. I am not sure that SQL Multi Script is at fault here, what SQL config are you referring?

As SQL Multi Script is now using an update version of the SQL Compare engine which as changed from 32-bit to 64-bit architecture. This may mean that for your alias to work you should create similar keys in the 64bit part of the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftMSSQLServerClientConnectTo

(i.e. create it outside the WOW6432Node)

Also please note that MSDN recommends using the SQL Server Configuration Manager to configure aliases rather than directly editing the registry (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/ms190445.aspx). If you do that, you'll see there are two SQL Server Native Client Configuration nodes, one marked as 32 bit. Basically, aliases are defined separately for 32 bit and 64 bit applications.

I hope the above helps.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply Eddie, we have sorted the distribution list upgrade by using the SQLMultiscriptListExport which is supplied with the latest version.. we were running the old version.
    All is good in the universe..

Alias Recognition is still being looked at

Glyn