Fast Deploy - Source database connection question...

SQL_ME_RICHSQL_ME_RICH Posts: 112
edited May 4, 2016 2:35PM in SQL Data Compare 11
Hello -

Using SQL Data Compare 11.5.4.891. There are a series of steps that take place (before the script is eventually deployed to the target server). They are:

- Registering databases
- Mapping
- Comparing databases
- Generating scripts
- Deploying scripts

At what point in these steps is it safe for the source database connection to be dropped? I ask this question because the source database being used is rebuilt on a nightly basis, and the process I am running takes a very long time to sync the data. My hope is that it is no longer needed at the point that it starts generating scripts, but I need to know for sure.

Thank you

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post.

Strange question. From the simple test I performed, it is possible to drop the connection to the source database once the comparison is complete and the results of the comparison become available. The generation of the deployment script and the actual deployment process do not require the connection to the source database.

However if the 'Recompare after deployment' option is checked, the subsequent refresh of the comparison would fail.

I recommend that you test it out in your environment prior to any changes you wish to take on your processes.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Strange question perhaps, but much needed information. Glad to know that the connection to the source could be dead, and the process will not be killed (once it is at the point of generating the script).

Also - I have asked in the past for a feature to be installed in your Fast Deploy process, which would allow for a timestamp to mark the start and finish of the migration. Maybe that is something you guys could consider implementing in a future update to the product? For those of us who are at the mercy of waiting to see when it completes - we very rarely have the time to sit back, and do such babysitting (and knowing how long a migration takes is key to new system deployments - I doubt I am alone on that). I suppose I can always look at the properties of my database file (to see when it was last modified), but it would just be nice to know from your tool (just in case someone or something else does something to the file before I can get to it - I don't have to guess).

The dropping of the connection is not something I can do anything about, but knowing that so long as it has gotten to the point of Generating the script has the process in the clear, is good to know.

Thank you
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi,
    I have searched both our UserVoice forum and Bug Tracking system and cannot find a request for a timestamp to mark the start and finish of the migration.

I recommend that you post a new feature suggestion in the SQL Data Compare UserVoice Forum available through this LINK.

The UserVoice forum is the best place to submit feature suggestions. The theory being that other users / customers can vote and comment on the topics submitted. The more votes and comments received, increase the chances of the suggestion being included in a future version of the product. The UserVoice forum is monitored by Product managers and Development teams.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie, thank you! I will post something over there now.