Options

SDC hangs retrieving schema

smurtaghsmurtagh Posts: 5
edited April 26, 2016 5:56AM in SQL Data Compare 11
I've got a strange issue with one of our databases I'm trying to compare using SDC. We've been using SDC for over 10 years and never not been able to compare. I'm a sysadmin on the server and the database structure can be compared using SQL Compare.

The problem itself is a database from a particular supplier, which we have on live and test servers. I can compare other databases on these servers, but not this particular database, although the settings for all databases look the same. Once I've selected the server and database in the Data Sources tab and select the Tables & Views tab, the main white box in the middle of the screen starts an animation which toggles between "Retrieving schema 0%" then "Retrieving schema Registering databases 0%" then finally "Retrieving schema Cancelling previous task 0%" before trying again and again repeatedly then finally timing out.

I've checked this forum and someone reported a similar issue last year trying to compare the master database but no one responded. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    I found the issue with my database. I read on another post about turning on verbose logging (https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... +log+files) which isn't immediately obvious as it isn't in the menus. Once I did this an error was logged to the log file (not sure why no error is being displayed or it keeps retrying and getting the same error!):

SqlCompareException: A duplicate object name has been found. This may occur if the SQL Server that you are registering is case sensitive but the case sensitive option is not set.
    System.ArgumentException: A duplicate definition was found for [dbo].[Getjobtitle]. Ensure that case sensitivity options are set correctly and all object creation scripts are valid. If the problem persists, contact Redgate support.
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.ReadFromFolder.ObjectInformationFromDictionary.AddMapping(String fullyQualifiedName, Int32 sysobjectID)
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Registration.ModelFactory.DatabaseFactory.PopulateObjectNames()
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Registration.ModelFactory.DatabaseFactory.LightWeightPopulate(DBPopulationOptions popOptions)

The server is case sensitive, I'm not sure what the duplicate object is but in the comparison if I select the Options tab and check the "Use case-sensitive object definition" option before selecting the Tables & Views tab then all works ok.