Options

Data compare 2014 to 2005

cavcav Posts: 3
edited April 25, 2016 1:58AM in SQL Data Compare 11
When doing a data compare where the source server is SQL 2014 and the destination server is SQL 2005 the comparison itself completes but after selecting the relevant data and attempting to deploy it things seem to go into a loop or hang at the Generating SQL scripts stage. The source database is roughly 120MB in size, the process was left for 3 hours during which time the data compare process used 100% of one of the cores in my PC and hence the thought that there is a problem. I've attempted this a few times with the same result - even select one table from the source results in the same.

I've found documentation relating issues when comparing SQL 2008/2005 with 2000 but no specific issue regarding the above. Is there any known issues in this respect or is this an error?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post.

I am not aware of any performance problems with regards deploying data from SQL 2014 database to a SQL 2005 database, apart from the obvious amount of data being deployed, bandwidth of the network and workload of the SQL Server's and the machine running SQL Data Compare (if installed on a third machine, like a workstation).

Of course there are other problems, particularly if the data is of a data type new in SQL 2008 and above that SQL 2005 will not understand.

If you enable the verbose logging, as per the HELP ARTICLE. Repeat the comparison and deployment process. Locate the latest log file and sent a copy of the log file created to support@red-gate.com, referencing this forum topic. Myself and colleagues will hopefully then be able to help further.

Many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    With the help of the logging I could see that it was stuck in the dependency checker part of the process whereby a lot of the tables were complaining about a circular reference - I suspected this due to the database design in question containing foreign keys so I removed them after which the data compare went through smoothly.

Thanks Eddie, much appreciated!