Missing Columns in Suggestions

mac300mac300 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
edited April 5, 2016 11:35AM in SQL Prompt
Hi,

I recently started working with SQL Prompt on MS SQL 2014 (Started with Trial and now Licensed, Ver 7.1.0.315), and love it :)
1 thing I noticed is that on some tables, the Suggestion frame is missing certain Columns.

Is this a known issue, or something I setup incorrectly?
Other users seem to be working fine - all columns appear on the tables I have problems with. Also, when using MS SQL InteliSence all columns show.

Any ideas?

Let me know what other into is needed to help.

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi mac300,

You might just need to refresh Prompt's suggestions if the column has been recently added to the table. Ctrl+Shift+D is the shortcut to refresh the current database, alternatively there's an auto refresh feature that's under the Experimental Features page of the options.

If this isn't the case then a screenshot and example script of where you're missing the columns would be really useful to help diagnose what's going wrong.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • mac300mac300 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Aaron Law wrote:
    Hi mac300,

You might just need to refresh Prompt's suggestions if the column has been recently added to the table. Ctrl+Shift+D is the shortcut to refresh the current database, alternatively there's an auto refresh feature that's under the Experimental Features page of the options.

If this isn't the case then a screenshot and example script of where you're missing the columns would be really useful to help diagnose what's going wrong.

Thanks,
    Aaron.

These are not new columns.
    However, we found what the problem was. :idea:

Seems that the columns that were missing are using User Defined DataTypes.
    So, although the previous App I used shows all these columns (SQL Complete), on SQL Prompt it seems to check the User permissions more thoroughly and blocks columns from showing in Suggestions.

Anyhow, the permissions was fixed for my user, so I can see them now.

But perhaps would be good by the app developers to check this? I mean, if a more simple app shows columns regardless of User Permissions for User Defined DataTypes, perhaps SQL Prompt can be updated to do the same. :)
    I'm happy to hear you found the cause, and thanks for sharing the fix! :)

Continuing to suggest the columns even if you don't strictly have permission sounds reasonable to me. Would you be able to send me steps to reproduce the behaviour you were seeing? (feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post them publicly)

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • mac300mac300 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    Aaron Law wrote:
    I'm happy to hear you found the cause, and thanks for sharing the fix! :)

Continuing to suggest the columns even if you don't strictly have permission sounds reasonable to me. Would you be able to send me steps to reproduce the behaviour you were seeing? (feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post them publicly)

Thanks,
    Aaron.

Can post here - blurred some sections :)

All I tried to do was select from a table, and use WHERE on specific Column that was not in Suggestion.
    So, what our DBA did was add the Data Type permission to the Role my user is on -
    zcx5yi2.png

Let me know what other info you need :)
    Thanks for the info! I was able to reproduce it here.

We will make it so Prompt continues to offer the column name (without the datatype) in the next beta build of SQL Prompt 7.2, which should be released later this week.

Thanks,
    Aaron.