Overly inflated log file on target database

SQL_ME_RICHSQL_ME_RICH Posts: 112
edited April 4, 2016 12:40PM in SQL Data Compare 11
Hello -

Syncing a single table from my source database to my target database is blowing up my target database's log file to over 2.5X the size of the data being transferred.

My table is just over 180 GB in size (data is around 90 GB and indexing is around 90 GB). My target database is in simple recovery mode, and my Infrastructure team is ready to kill me (because I keep having to expand the disk that my target database's log file resides on). I'm 24 hours into this process, and I'm not sure that it's going to make it. I estimate at least another 24 hours before it completes, and at the rate the log file is continuing to grow - I'm going to come up short.

Is this normal? I am having to populate the table completely from the source (for reasons I will not bore you with), but I am having a hard time understanding why the log file has exploded in its size.

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Comments

• I should also mention that I am not running the SQL Data Compare tool on my target database server. The app is on a 3rd server (which is where we do all of our staged syncing from), and I already know about the 3 to 4 times the actually database size for that system to have.
  • So - the job eventually failed, but did not fail because of a lack of disk space. It did give the following error though:

Error: Synchronization of 'MySourceServer.MySourceDatabase' and 'MyTargerServer.MyTargetDatabase' failed: An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.

Have looked and searched out here, but am not finding reference to this error. Need support on this please, thanks.