Options

"Format SQL" feature removing aliases! Why??!

kmh090kmh090 Posts: 3
edited December 30, 2015 1:06PM in SQL Prompt
Ok, I think this recently started happening and maybe it was part of a recent release (not sure when I upgraded last - I'm on 7.0.0.52). Either way, I don't like it and I want this feature to go away! If I write a query with aliased columns and hit ctrl k + y, My nice query:
SELECT	sd.ServiceDataID,
		StatusName = l.LookupValue 
FROM	svc.ServiceData sd
		INNER JOIN Lookups l
			ON sd.StatusID = l.LookupID

becomes this (notice all my aliases are gone)....
SELECT  ServiceDataID,
        StatusName = LookupValue
FROM    svc.ServiceData sd
            INNER JOIN Lookups l
                ON StatusID = LookupID

Now I know SQL prompt keeps the aliases if there is a conflict (i.e the same column name exists in the query more than once, o.OfficeID = c.OfficeID), however that does not help me here. The second query makes my brain hurt, I need my aliases. I looked to an option to turn it off but couldn't find one. please help!!

Signed,
Frustrated control-freak SQL guy

Comments

• Options
    ok, user error. Redgate support just sent this response which fixed the issue:

"Go to SQL Prompt -> Options -> Qualification and make sure that the "qualify object names with aliases" option is checked."

I was looking in the 'format' section only (not 'qualification'), there's an option to qualify object names in there too which I thought that was the correct setting. thanks guys!
  • Options
    Hey kmh090,

Thanks for posting and sorry for the frustration!
    For anyone else who reads this, we solved it by going to SQL Prompt -> Options -> Qualification and making sure that the "qualify object names with aliases" option is checked.

It was a pleasure working with you and hope you have a great New Years!

Warmly,
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software