Options

Error in SSMS from Suggestions

albrightalbright Posts: 3
edited December 9, 2015 9:42AM in SQL Prompt
One of my clients is getting an error which crashes SQL Prompt and SSMS. When he uses SQL Prompt's suggestions while entering code, it crashes with only a SQL Prompt error dialog box that says error details: 'node' and nothing more. If he turns off the Suggestions option, this seems to stop it from happening, but that's obviously not a solution. Any ideas what would cause this or steps to take to fix it? Perhaps a reinstall? I saw one article suggesting clearing the cache in SQL Prompt, but I don't see a place to do that.

An associated error in the application log says this:
Application: Ssms.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
Stack:
at RedGate.SQLPrompt.CommonUI.Forms.CandidateList.CandidateList2.m_SchemaPanelTimer_Tick(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(System.EventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer+TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(System.Windows.Forms.Message ByRef)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dru.

Comments

• Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Dru,

There's not quite enough info in the stack trace for us to figure out the exact cause this, but I'll get you a new build tomorrow with some additional logging and error handling around that function.

It looks like it happened when trying to display the info panel that pops up alongside the suggestions. Do you know if it happens when there's a specific suggestion selected or on a specific script? Also, which version of Prompt are they currently using?

One possible workaround for now is to turn off the info panel under options and untick "Show object definitions"

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Dru,

We've got a build for you with some additional logging in the method that's causing a problem which you can download from here.

Please try recreating the issue in this new build and it should display a "report error" dialog which will give us more info on the cause of this crash.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    Great, thanks. I'll download it and install it on the client.

I will have to query him if it happens with a specific suggestion.

Thanks,
    Dru.