Options

No longer able to checkin items

seanwowseanwow Posts: 2 New member
I've been trying to contact support all day about this issue. I finally figured out how to get around the generic "Unexpected end of file" error when performing any action through the source control tab for any previously checked in database after connecting to a TFS 2015. To get around the issue (your unhelpful response about deleting the table did not work by the way) I added a line to RedGate_SQLSourceControl_Engine_EngineOptions.xml <TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>RedGate.SQLSourceControl.Engine.SrcC.TFS2012</TeamFoundationServerDllOverride>
This fixed connecting to the original server and I can once again view/checkin changes for the previously source controlled items NOT using tfs 2015.

I don't know how this works as I don't see that dll in Red Gate user or program files directories but its seems to be specific, if I change it to 2010 it fails. Now I'm getting this error when trying to checkin items-

*Internal error in Changeset Comments Policy. Error loading the Changeset Comments Policy policy (The policy assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.PowerTools.CheckinPolicies.ChangesetComments, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' is not registered.). Installation instructions: *Internal error in Work Items. Error loading the Work Items policy (The policy assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Controls, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' is not registered.). Installation instructions:

Thats the entire error there is nothing after "instructions:". This would appear to be a tfs error and I would agree if it wasn't working for weeks up until I tried connecting to the tfs 2015 server through red gate source control. I tried running a repair on the power tools, no luck.

I'm using the SSMS client for SQL 2012. I've provided quite a bit more information in the numerous ignored emails responding to your support mailbox. Let me know if you need any more information.

Additionally when do you plan to support TFS 2015?

Comments

• Options
    Hey Seanwow,

Thanks for posting and I apologize for the frustration, I raised this with our devs and they have been helpful in figuring out where the issue lies.

We have been working together on this and here is a brief paraphrase of what we have thus far:

SOC does support server side TFS 2015, as long as Team Explorer 2013/2012/2010 is installed alongside Source Control on the client machine. It does not support Team Explorer 2015 and currently there are no plans to add support for it. https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... e+selected

The issue with this instance is that his TFS 2015 instance has a comment policy. Source Control can have issues with policies so he has to use the #ignorepolicies flag every time he commits.

There's a more global workaround so you don't have to enter the comment each time- you can add IgnoreTfsPolicies to the engine options file (C:Users%UserName%AppDataLocalRed GateSQL Source Control 4RedGate_SQLSourceControl_Engine_EngineOptions.xml), with a value of True (<IgnoreTfsPolicies> True </IgnoreTfsPolicies>)

That's only skirting round the problem though. TFS Policies are interesting to work with. Any policies you wish to use need to be correctly installed on both the server and the client. The error you are getting:

The policy assembly 'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Controls, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' is not registered
    Suggests it's not installed correctly somewhere. It might be that when you (tried to) connect to 2015, it updated / registered a newer version of that assembly which now stops it working.

We tried manually registering the assembly, but it's not one where that seems to work. It seems the same error could occur via VS anyway, again in relation to incompatible versions, so it might be worth it for you to remove and re-add the policy: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckh/archive/2 ... olicy.aspx

Warm Regards,

Andrew
    Product Support Engineer
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software