Options

XMLException in Octopus

ChrisLSChrisLS Posts: 4 Bronze 1
edited November 17, 2015 6:58AM in SQL CI 2
Has anyone seen the error below before and have any guidance on what I can try to find the cause of the exception?

I have isolated it to the build coming out of source control by pointing at a blank database, and creating entirely new Team City and Octopus configurations handling this database and nothing else. I have a second project with the same error but have spent less time investigating that one as it is not as urgent.

Any help appreciated.
Chris

VERBOSE: C:Program Files (x86)Red GateSQL ReleaseSCSQLCompare.exe ended with exit code 0
VERBOSE: SQLCompare.exe completed successfully.
Smart Assembly error report was successfully sent.
New-DatabaseRelease : '', hexadecimal value 0x05, is an invalid character.
Line 1, position 683542.
At D:OctopusDBsWork20151029112045-733Script.ps1:13 char:1
+ New-DatabaseRelease -Target $targetDatabase `
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [New-DatabaseRelease], XmlException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnhandledException,RedGate.SQLRelease.PowerShell
.Commands.NewDatabaseReleaseCommand

The remote script failed with exit code 1

Comments

• Options
    Hi Chris,

I have opened a support incident and will email you shortly to request further details of your issue.

Thank you,
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • Options
    Conclusion:
    User found out that this was caused by a Stored Procedure with an encrypted default password, the encryption was the cause of the invalid characters

In order to diagnose this the user ran a command that creates a report.xml file (at C:Temp, which should be be in place before running the command, you can use another folder if you wish):

"%DLMAS_HOME%SCSQLCompare.exe" /scripts1:"<The SQL CI NuGet scripts folder>" /server2:"<The target server>" /db2:"<The target database>" /options:ConsiderNextFilegroupInPartitionSchemes,DecryptPost2kEncryptedObjects,DoNotOutputCommentHeader,ForceColumnOrder,IgnoreCertificatesAndCryptoKeys,IgnoreDatabaseAndServerName,IgnoreTSQLT,IgnoreUserProperties,
    IgnoreWhiteSpace,IgnoreWithElementOrder,IncludeDependencies,ThrowOnFileParseFailed,UseCompatibilityLevel,UseMigrationsV2 /include:staticData /report:C:Temp
    eport.xml /showWarnings /include:Identical /force

The SQL CI NuGet scripts folder can be acquired by extracting the contents of the NuGet package generated by SQL CI to a folder (the scripts folder will be within dbstate)
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools