Options

The main selling points for old Automation Suite users?

swinghouseswinghouse Posts: 120 Bronze 2
edited October 16, 2015 9:06AM in DLM Automation
Hi,

I've finally upgraded from SQL Automation Pack to DLM Automation Suite, in the process getting acquainted with SQL Release for the first time.

After confirming that our existing build (TeamCity) and deployment (Octopus) projects still work after the upgrade, I turned my interest over to what the new suite offers that wasn't already covered by the old Automation Pack. (I must admit it's been a bit hard to keep up with the changes in your product portfolio lately, but cudos for not resting on your laurels! :) )

We were covered by our current support and upgrades agreement, so upgrading was a natural thing, but otherwise I honestly don't think I would've felt the need to pay for an upgrade given the things I've picked up about SQL Relase and the DLM Automation Suite.

Here's where you have an opportunity to prove me wrong! :P What would be some highlights for "old timers" that contemplate upgrading from SQL Automation Pack?

/Mattias

Comments

• Options
    Hi Mattias,
    Thanks for your post.

As you're using Octopus, I'd definitely point to the new difference report that SQL Release creates. It has a new look and feel (intra-line diff similar to GitHub, better navigation), and also includes static data changes, so combined with SQL Source Control's static data can support change control for data as well as schema (I blogged about it here; http://www.red-gate.com/blog/change-control ).

If you're using DLM Dashboard to guarantee the integrity of your build pipeline, and to alert you on out-of-process changes, you can now also use the SQL CI Build step to send your packages and version names direct to DLM Dashboard. If not, please do give DLM Dashboard a try. There are lots of exciting improvements in the pipeline as well.

We've also improved lots of aspects of the getting started experience by simplifying the installation and activation process.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know what you'd like to see.

Richard Macaskill
    Product Manager
    DLM Automation
  • Options
    swinghouseswinghouse Posts: 120 Bronze 2
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

Yes, the reports that SQL Release generates seems really good to have! I will familiarize myself with them plus catch up on your blog post!

I have installed DLM Dashboard but truth be told I haven't played around much with it yet. Will certainly do so!

/Mattias