Options

Error When Installing SQL Monitor 4

RofLRofL Posts: 13
edited September 15, 2015 6:39AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hi,

I'm trying to install SQL Monitor on a Windows Server 2012 R2 box running a SQL Server 0214 instance. When I get to the point of connecting to an instance to create a new Monitor database I get a message that "The type initializer for 'Settings' threw an exception". Looking through the Redgate forums I could see I was able to check the install log. The error shows that "This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms." I have checked via secpol and confirmed that FIPS is enabled, and I am unable to change it at a local level. I've played around with the few options that there are in the installer in the vague hope it would work but regardless I still get this error.

Assuming I am on the right track, is there a method of installing SQL Monitor on this box?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    So it seems I was on the the right track: I had to ask the sysadmins to disable the security policy "System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing" (it is set to "disabled" by default, I have no idea why it was set to "enabled" by default across the whole domain.) I had to exit the installer and go through the process again, but this time it worked successfully.

Lucky I was able to disable this feature!
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post and sorry for the delay in replying.

SQL Monitor is not FIPS compliant. In order to get it installed FIPS would need to be disabled to get the installer to install the Base Monitor and web server components, which appears to be the action you took. Sorry for the inconvenience.

For any other users encountering this problem, one of my colleagues performed some additional research on FIPS compliance post-installation, below are his findings (Thank You Ricky):

We have had other customers who turned off FIPS to get SQL Monitor installed, and then disabled FIPS at just the application level for the Base Monitor and Web Server components. This will allow you to turn FIPS back on for the machine once the components have been installed. If you are interested in this workaround, here are the steps:

After you install the web service, you'll have to create a file named xsp2.exe.config in the same folder as the web service (C:Program FilesRed GateSQL Monitor 4Web by default). The body of the file should be as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <runtime>
    <enforceFIPSPolicy enabled="false"/>
    </runtime>
    </configuration>

You'll also need to modify the base monitor config file (should be C:Program FilesRed GateSQL Monitor 3BaseMonitorRedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.config) to add "<enforceFIPSPolicy enabled="false"/> " between the runtime tags.

Note: You will still need to initially disable FIPS across the machine to get the installer to place the 2 components - Base Monitor and Web Server

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com