Strange data compare behavior comparing master db

dwainewdwainew Posts: 56 Bronze 3
edited April 26, 2016 5:58AM in SQL Data Compare 11
Not sure what's going on. I know master is not a usual target for SDC, but certainly not unheard of. Several uses to compare configurations between servers. SDC seems to be in a loop on the tables & views tab.

http://screencast.com/t/g0vsp26DL8A

SDC 11.2.1.82

Comments

  • dwainewdwainew Posts: 56 Bronze 3
    No response from anyone? Someone at Redgate?

    RG sql data compare is clearly showing a quick "Cancelling .... something ... " and starting over. Infinite loop. making my expensive software not very useful in this case. I've run into this with a few other comparisons (user databases) since I noticed this issue on Monday.
  • Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I have the same issue with a supplier database (rather than master). I have posted the issue again given the age of this issue.
  • I found the issue with my database. I read on another post about turning on verbose logging (https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... +log+files) which isn't immediately obvious as it isn't in the menus. Once I did this an error was logged to the log file (not sure why no error is being displayed or it keeps retrying and getting the same error!):

    SqlCompareException: A duplicate object name has been found. This may occur if the SQL Server that you are registering is case sensitive but the case sensitive option is not set.
    System.ArgumentException: A duplicate definition was found for [dbo].[Getjobtitle]. Ensure that case sensitivity options are set correctly and all object creation scripts are valid. If the problem persists, contact Redgate support.
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.ReadFromFolder.ObjectInformationFromDictionary.AddMapping(String fullyQualifiedName, Int32 sysobjectID)
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Registration.ModelFactory.DatabaseFactory.PopulateObjectNames()
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Registration.ModelFactory.DatabaseFactory.LightWeightPopulate(DBPopulationOptions popOptions)

    The server is case sensitive, I'm not sure what the duplicate object is but in the comparison if I select the Options tab and check the "Use case-sensitive object definition" option before selecting the Tables & Views tab then all works ok.

    I'm not sure if the case-sensitive option will always be the issue but the verbose logging may help identify the issue. Hope this helps someone.
Sign In or Register to comment.