Options

SQL Prompt menu items gray out after several formats

runamuk0@msn.comrunamuk0@msn.com Posts: 12 Bronze 1
edited July 16, 2015 6:38AM in SQL Prompt
Hi,
I'm evaluating the SQL Prompt product in VS 2013 Premium and every so often the SQL Prompt menu items gray out so I can't use them. I have to restart VS in order to continue.

Tony

Comments

• Options
    Hi Tony,

Most of the menu items are only active if you have clicked in the query window, for example if you have selected the SQL Server Object Explorer window they won't be available.

If the menu items are still grayed out even when you've got the query window selected, please do let me know and I'll take a look into it.

Best regards,

David
  • Options
    I do have the query window selected and the cursor is in the query as well. There doesn't appear to be any ryhme or reason to the issue. It just stops working until I restart VS.
  • Options
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Which version of Visual Studio are you using? And which version of SQL Prompt?

Do the keyboard shortcuts for Prompt still work? Do you still get any suggestions when typing in the query window?

Best regards,

David
  • Options
    VS 2013 Premium, SQL Prompt 6.5.0.336
    Keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl-K,Ctrl-Y stop working as well.
    Suggestions are limited to shortcut macros only.
  • Options
    Hi Tony,

Would it be possible for you to try out our current beta? It uses a new way of hooking in to Visual Studio so it might resolve your issue.

The beta can be downloaded here. Please do let me know how you get on.

Best regards,

David
  • Options
    OK, I installed the beta but I have now run out the extended trial period. Can I get another extension?
  • Options
    Hi Tony,

I'll send you a direct message with a license key that will allow you another 14 days use.

Best regards,

David
  • Options
    I uninstalled and then installed the Beta version. I get the same problem and in addition I keep getting a "Invalid window handle" error box popping up.
  • Options
    Hi Tony,

Interesting, the two problems could well be related. Thank you for getting back to me with these details.

Does this happen after a certain set of actions that we could possibly reproduce over here?

And do you have any other addins installed?

Lastly, next time this happens could you email me the log through to david.priddle@red-gate.com? You can find the log by going into the SQL Prompt menu and clicking Help > Show Log.

Best regards,

David