SQL Search crashes Management Studio

MunMun Posts: 2
edited June 29, 2016 9:24PM in SQL Search
I'm using SQL Server 2012. When I install SQL Search 2.1 and try and launch it from within by clicking on the toolbar button, it causes Management Studio to hang, and I have to manually kill the process.

This is what happens as soon as I click the button. Everything stops working.

Tf6pASR.png

The following message about Management Studio being busy also shows up in the system tray

a2lehgU.png

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing, which didn't help.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Hello Munsifali,

Thanks for contacting us and I am sorry you are having this issue!
    I would recommend going into Control Panel- Programs and Features then Repairing the SSMS Integration Pack 1 and the SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1, then repair SQL Search.

I have followed up with you via email to hopefully resolve this.

Warm Regards,
    Andrew Pierce
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • I have had the exact same problem (SSMS freezing when clicking SQL Search) ever since upgrading to SQL Search version 2 on 06/16/2015.

SSMS doesn't seem to freeze up every time, just most of the time. Until today I hadn't thought about searching for other users reporting this problem but I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person having this issue. So far at,my company, I am the only user that has upgraded SQL Search so I am the only person here that has this issue.

One thing I've noticed that seems to help is if there are NO databases connected in the SSMS object explorer when I open SQL Search and then I leave the SQL Search tab open I am able to use the tool. Once the SQL Search tab is opened I am able to open one or more databases without any problems (at least up to this point). If I do have one or more databases connected the first time I try to open a SQL Search tab, more often than not SSMS will freeze and I'll have to use Windows Task Manager to kill SSMS entirely.

To summarize:
    Open SQL Server Management Studio
      If database(s) are connected in the SSMS Object explorer and I leave them open, most of the time when I click SQL Search, SSMS Freezes. If database(s) are connected in the SSMS Object explorer and I close them, every time I have clicked SQL Search it opens without any issues. If no databases are connected in the SSMS Object explorer, every time when I click SQL Search it opens without any issues.
    Once the SQL Search tab is open I can connect to one or many databases in the SSMS Object explore with no issues

I don't think it matters but I have the Red Gate developer suite installed.

Thanks!
    Scott
  • I can report the same memory consumption problem when using SQL Search, using v2.1.0.98. After startup, working set memory on local machine is ~130-160MB, with SQL Search installed as an Add-in.

Connecting to a DB server, opening a SQL Search window, running a search, and then a reindex, and then closing the search window and disconnecting from the server can have working set memory bounce between ~150MB and 1GB. Working set memory can be maintain at any level in between, and can drop down after being stable at a higher level. Memory movement is not predictable. Local machine has 8GB RAM, 64-bit OS. Running Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 12.0.2000.8 (SQL Server 2014 Mgmt Studio) as 32-bit, so addressable memory is limited to 4GB overall. Excessive memory use of SSMS triggers out of memory condition, as one would expect.

I do not have any other RedGate tools installed.

I like the tool, but this behavior is not acceptable. Please let me know if a solution is available.
  • PudPud Posts: 3 Bronze 2
    Hi Redgate dudes.
    I am having the exact same issues as @jbgreen and tired of restarting SSMS after using SQL Search :x.
    I use the tool regularly and like it! :D
    Have you resolved this issue? Can you please let me know when you have a solution.
    My guess is SQL Search doesn't like to give up memory.
    Cheers
    Paul
  • Hi Redgate folks.

I can tell you that I still experience this memory-driven crash issue. I have shifted to running SQLSearch only in a separate session on a server with 32GB RAM, and SQLSearch can still crash but much less frequently, and so running it in a separate instance is much better than on my primary hardware. I also have to ensure that I limit the index search to the fewest databases as possible, which reduces the utility of the software. I still feel the tool has some nice capabilities and can be useful as long as users are able to isolate the instance adequately.
  • Hi;

I'm sorry you're seeing this problem - it's not something we've seen internally, so I've filed a bug report (SDI-687) indicating that under some circumstances it appears to consume more memory than expected and crash out Management Studio.

As we've not seen this happen internally it would help if we had a little more detail to narrow down what we're looking for - in particular, do the databases you are searching contain a very large number of objects, or any programmable objects (stored procedures, functions, etc) with an unusually large amount of code in them?

Regards
    Chris
    Software Engineer
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi Chris,

I am still having this issue with SSMS 2008R2.

Basically if I have any servers connected in the object explorer and click the SQL Search button at the top SSMS will freeze. After that the "is Busy" button normally appears if I click any thing in the Object explorer window, although sometimes it doesn't do anything at all. Eventually I have to use task manager to manually kill that SSMS instance and just hope if I have more than one window open that I get the right one.

The size of the database doesn't appear to make any difference as I've tested this on small servers (local) to HUGE servers with tons of SQL objects. The freezing is always the same.

If I'm sure there are no servers connected in the object explorer window before I click the SQL Search button the SQL Search window opens without any issues. After it's open I can connect to as many servers in the object explorer as I want without any problems.

If I have no servers connected in the object explorer, open SQL Search, connect to a SQL server, close SQL Search and then re-open SQL Search while still connected to the server, SQL Search opens without any issues.

I also use SSMS 2014 and none of these issues occur in that environment.

Thanks!
    Scott
  • I'd like to add to this post as well.

Also experiencing crashes since upgrading. MS SQL Server Management Studio 2012.

RedGate Error

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Data.SQLite, Version=1.0.90.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=db937bc2d44ff139' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Windows Error

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: Ssms.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 2011.110.5058.0
    Problem Signature 03: 537406e3
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.34209
    Problem Signature 06: 534894cc
    Problem Signature 07: 2244
    Problem Signature 08: 9
    Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentNullException