Options

always drift, never update

chriglburrichriglburri Posts: 4
edited July 2, 2015 5:15AM in DLM Dashboard
Hello RedGate Team

I have a problem using the DLM Dasboard.

Situation:
We have 2 Databases: a Development DB and a Production DB. We now and then delete the DevDB and recreate it from a backup of the ProdDB, so both have the exact same state (e.g. when we start developing a new feature).
Now i have installed DLM Dashboard and made 1 project, 2 environments (Dev/Prod) and in each environment i have registered the corresponding database.

Problem:
When I make a change to the DevDB it shows "drift". Thats ok. I then give the schema it a name (e.g. "V1.0").
Now I make the exact same change to the ProdDB (we use ddl scripts to deploy new features on the db).
I now expect to see "update to V1.0" on the ProdDB, but it shows "drift to unrecognized schema".

Am I using this wrong? How does DLMDashbord define the schema? Or does it only work in combination with your "SQL Compare"?

Hope you can help me, we really would love to use this tool.

Kind Regards
Christian

Comments

• Options
    I'm a developer on the DLM Dashboard team.

You are using the tool correctly, your changes should be shown as 'updated'.

To help us investigate this further, please follow these instructions:
    - Please get your dev and prod databases in the same state
    - If you have SQL Compare, would you please create snapshots of the two databases and send us a support email with them attached? Instructions on creating SQL Compare snapshots are here.

Thanks!
    Chirayu Shishodiya
    Software Engineer - Deployment Manager
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Hello!
    I'm afraid, i can not help you investigate this. I installed SQLCompare but when I start it I see the message "Your trial has expired". (I guess i have already tried this software some time ago.) Now, my Company is not able to buy a Licence right now (we have to apply for the budget which can only be done once a year)

In short: I can not send you Snapshots.

I guess I just have to live with the fact, that we can not enjoy the full potential of DLM Dashboard. But thats OK.

Thanks for offering your help.
    Kind Regards:
    Christain
  • Options
    Good news! The version we released yesterday should help us identify the issue.

Please follow these instructions:
    - Update to the new version of DLM Dashboard, version 1.2.3.513
    - Drift the Development and Production Database (the two databases that you mentioned earlier, the ones that are equivalent). You may need to make a change to both databases to get them in a drifted state.
    - Click on the 'Review' button for Development database on the homepage, press hh after the page loads and download the .zip file. Do the same for Production database.
    - Please send these zip files to our email address dlmdashboardsupport@red-gate.com

We will investigate the issue (it's likely to be a problem with the hashing algorithm we are using, but the zip files will help us investigate and fix the issue).

Thanks for your patience so far :)
    Chirayu Shishodiya
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Hello Chirayu. Thank you for the hint with the diagnostic files. I generated and examined them and found that our two databases were indeed different. (To be exact: We had the same database user linked to different server logins on the different databases. User definitions are not going to be transfered within a backup file).

I fixed this and now DLM Dashboard works like a charm!

Thank you again for your help!

Kind regards:
    Christian
  • Options
    Awesome! You are a super user! You diagnosed and fixed the issue yourself :-)

Glad to know it's working in the end.
    Chirayu Shishodiya
    Red Gate
  • Options
    LaytonsLaytons Posts: 1 New member
    I seem to be getting this issue. I have two databases a development and production ones and I have them added to the DLM dashboard, I have acknowledged the changes to the development one and set the version number. I have then used SQL compare with default settings to update the production so that there are no differences between the two but the production database now says it has drifted.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

Regards
    Simon