RunAs ability

pjingram33pjingram33 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
edited December 7, 2015 6:30AM in SQL Data Compare 11
Why doesn't Data Compare allow the user to run it as a different user? I can SHIFT + right click and get the option to "Run as different user" for SQL Compare, but not Data Compare. My standard login has limited access for security reasons so I need to switch to my administrator account for many actions like this.

Thanks,
Jason

Comments

• I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to do that. Data Compare should be exactly the same as Compare. Can I ask what you're right-clicking on to get the 'run as' option?
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • pjingram33pjingram33 Posts: 5 Bronze 1
    In Windows 7 a "SHIFT + right-click" will bring up a menu with a "Run as a different user" option. Saves time from launching from the command prompt. Either way I found the issue. The shortcut the installer places for SQL Data Compare under Start -> All Programs -> Red Gate doesn't have a target listed. SQL Compare does however. I fixed the shortcut for Data Compate to have a target and now I get the expected options.
  • Thanks for the description - we'll take a look and see if there's something simple we just need to fix in the installer
  • F.Y.I this is still a problem for SQL Data Compare version 11.3.0.7. To work around it I deleted the shortcut created in start --> 'all programs' --> 'Red Gate' and copied in a new shortcut created from C:Program Files (x86)Red GateSQL Data Compare 11RedGate.SQLDataCompare.UI.exe.