Options

Log Shipping: Problem with network share

jwilleyjwilley Posts: 23
edited October 1, 2008 1:04PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,
I have two data centers and am trying to setup log shipping from a machine in center A to one in center B. Using SQL Backup Log Shipping wizard, I was able to configure a test machine in center A to log ship to a machine in center B without problem.

When I attempt to set up log shipping from my production machine in center A, however, I get stopped on the last page of the SQL Backup log shipping wizard defining the Network Share (which is the same path I used for my testing) -- the path that works perfectly from my test machine gives a "Folder does not exist" error from my production machine.

I've given "everyone" permission to all the folders and tried everything I can think of. I can create a shortcut to the network share from my production machine to the target machine that works perfectly. From this I infer I have a permission problem.

I am at a loss as to what to try next -- can you give me the details regarding what the "Test" button is actually checking? What username is it using to check the permissions? Any other details I could check to determine the problem?

thx -- john

Comments

• Options
    Hi John,

When you click the Test button SQL Backup is checking the credentials of the SQL Backup Agent Service Log On account.

To check this account, please open Windows Services, scroll down to SQL Backup Agent and select Properties>Log On.

This account will need to be a domain account with permissions to your network share on both the source and destination servers.

To easily find out which server is having the problem, you can use the Back Up wizard and the Copy to network test button.

You may also want to try specifying the IP address of the network share.

I hope this helps.
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry
  • Options
    Thanks Matthew!!

Checking the SQL Backup Agent serivce LogOn account was what I needed. None of these machines are in a domain. I discovered that my test machine was running SQL Backup Agent under a specific username/password and the destination machine was using the same username/password (I guess I had figured this out some time ago when getting the test machine to work). As soon as I added the same login & password to my production machine and changed the SQL Backup Agent service on that machine to run under it, my problem went away.

Suggestion: you might consider a help popup for the Log Shipping Network Share test button that says something like "The SQL Backup Agent service must be running under the same account on both machines. If the machines are not in the same domain, SQL Backup Agent must be running under a local account with the same username and password on both machines."

Thanks again for pointing me to the right place!

john
  • Options
    Hi John,

Thank you for the update.

The SQL Backup Agent accounts do not have to be the same name/password. The accounts do however need a matching username/password on the sever that is holding your network share.

I appreciate your suggestion for further versions of SQL Backup.

Thanks,
    Matthew Flatt
    Redgate Foundry