Restore Dialog Delay

bturnbullbturnbull Posts: 3
edited December 4, 2014 8:27AM in SQL Prompt
Hi Guys,

I'm using SSMS 2012(11.0.5058) and I find that whenever I attempt to restore a database and I select the Files tab on the restore dialog, it hangs for several minutes before finally becoming responsive again. Other clients that do not have SQL Prompt installed do not seem to encounter this delay. I'm currently using the latest version of SQL Prompt (6.4.1.142).

Just as an aside, a very minor bug, I've also noticed that if I drag objects from the Object Explorer onto the query pane, it doubles up e.g. ALTER DATABASE master[master]

Thanks!
Brendon

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Brendon,

Thanks for your forum post! Unfortunately I'm having difficulty recreating the issues here. Do you have any other addins installed alongside Prompt the might be needed for me to reproduce these issues?

Also, would it be possible to try uninstalling Prompt and then attempting the steps again just to confirm it is Prompt that's causing this?

Thanks!
    Aaron.
  • Hi Aaron,

I have to admit - I uninstalled all RedGate components from my pc and still encountered the problem so it may in fact be an SSMS (2012) bug after all. I didn't however realise something which was skewing my testing - there appeared to be no delay after removing RedGate but that's only because I had already restored those databases. If on the other hand I create a new database and attempt to restore over it, the files tab on the restore dialog hangs again, with or without RedGate.

Interestingly I found a blog so it seems I'm not the only one suffering from this and many others point to the RedGate tools but in my experience, I see the delay even after uninstalling all of them.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/69dcb302-5f32-4992-8a9a-0ffc3e8c5039/sql-server-management-studio-2012-restore-files-hangs?forum=sqltools

Thanks,
    Brendon