Best RedGate CI process with parallel development

rhsurhsu Posts: 10
edited November 26, 2014 2:07AM in Schema Compare for Oracle
We use RedGate Source Control and Schema compare (command line interface) in our database CI process for DDL changes. In our company, there are always parallel releases going on and we are able to create branches with svn and still use RG source control with no problem. And when two releases need to be test in the same QA environment at the same time, we have to merge the first branch into the second branch so the changes in first branch would not be overwritten when deploying the second branch. However, the branches have different release schedule and it is possible that the second branch needs to be released before the first branch. Things become complicated when this happens, we have to "un-migrate" branch 1 from branch 2. It is error prone and it is really not a good "CI" process. I am wondering if anyone have the same issue and what is the best way to deal with parallel releases with Red Gate?

Thanks
Roger

Comments

• This isn't something I've heard from customers before so I'm not sure what to suggest. From a pure source control point of view you're clearly going to get into issues trying to unpick a merged branch back out of a branch. We tend to leave merging as late as possible.

In the next version of the tool there's going to be the facility to only deploy certain change types from the command line so you could deploy both branches to the same database. If your two branches have filters that are mutually exclusive that will also be supported by the command line.

I'm honestly not sure what to suggest.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Thanks for the reply. Is "filter" a new feature in the Schema compare? We bought the tool back in April or May 2014. I don't know such feature yet.
  • The filter is new in Source Control for Oracle, this filter will be obeyed by the command line deployment in the next version of Schema Compare for Oracle (coming weeks I hope).

http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... ng+objects

I plan to back-port this to the other tools as soon as I get some time, hopefully early next year.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd