DML commands not working

dillirajdilliraj Posts: 3
edited December 5, 2014 9:14AM in Source Control for Oracle
Hi,
I am having hard time managing my Database Object and Data change to reflect on all my Oracle Databases. Currently I have about 20 different Oracle Database Servers. Whenever there is some change required on database (Structural or data change), developer
sends the SQL statement in the form of Patch file. They commit those patches to SVN server.In most case those patches
do not need to be applied on all the servers. Another limitation is Patches can not be applied on all the server at the
same time because servers may be running some jobs. Sometime these patches are not applicable for some of the database servers.
I downloaded trial version on Source control for Oracle. Installed, deployed svn and created two Projects on Source control for oracle. First project pointing to DB1 and Second pointing to DB2. I found following sort of things are not working and missing.
1. Multiple SQL command on the single patch file is not working.
2. Insert, update, delete, alter Not working with Source control for Oracle.
3. Source control for Oracle is not working for Oracle Data.
4. Pre-patching condition is missing. That is I need to check certain condition prior to apply patch. If condition returns false I need to abort the patching and need to fix it manually.
5. PL/SQL blocks are not working too.

Hope I will get wayout of my concerns very soon.
Thank You in advance.
-Dilli R. Maharjan

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Dilli R. Maharjan,

Thank you for your forum post.

Source Oracle for Oracle does not support DML commands. Source Control for Oracle simply tracks the DDL for the objects in the schema you link. From the details in your forum post, Source Control for Oracle (with regards to the DDL) would replace the patch file system that you are currently using. Your developer would make a change to the schema in the IDE that they are using. Source Control for Oracle will see that change and allow you the user to check-in that change removing the need to create and work on separate script files.

To answer your questions:
    1. Multiple SQL command on the single patch file is not working.
    Can you please reply with further details of the problem you are experiencing. As per the previous paragraph, Source Control for Oracle does not support support data or DML. When you first link or create your Source Control Project, you select the schema you wish to source control and link to an empty folder in SVN. You Check-in the changes, this creates a number of sub-folders for each object type and a script for each individual object.
    2. Insert, update, delete, alter Not working with Source control for Oracle.
    3. Source control for Oracle is not working for Oracle Data.

I will answer question 2 and 3 together.
    Source Oracle for Oracle does not support Data.
    4. Pre-patching condition is missing. That is I need to check certain condition prior to apply patch. If condition returns false I need to abort the patching and need to fix it manually.

You cannot add any further scripting or patching prior or on completion of the script. I suspect that you are looking for the migrations feature available in the sister product for Microsoft SQL Server called SQL Source Control. Another alternative would be to implement Continuous Integration via Team City or Jenkins, where the user can run a script prior or pre-patching script. Further information can be found on this WEB PAGE. (Scroll down to find the section on Continuous Integration).
    5. PL/SQL blocks are not working too.

I cannot think of any reason as to why Source Control for Oracle would not support PL/SQL Blocks. Can you please reply with an example of this not working?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,
    Thank You for the reply. We are searching for the tool with feature that can track any DDL or DML changes. Developers create a patch for any insert, update, delete command. So we have to search for any tool that will support the both.
    Eddie, is there any chance that "Source Control for Oracle" is planning to include that feature in coming days. If yes, what is the ETA? If no, is there any tool that may suit my requirement. I need a tool that will compare schema very effectively and track any DDL or DML patch uploaded in svn.

Regards,
    Dilli R. Maharjan
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply.

There are no plans that I am aware off to include data manipulation in the near future. I am aware of plans to support a migrations style feature to support static data similar to what SQL Source Control (our source control tool for Microsoft SQL Server) currently as in place but I have no ETA as to when you are likely to see it.

Also within the Deployment Suite for Oracle, there are two other tools that may help you:
    Schema Compare for Oracle
    Data Compare for Oracle

The above two tools are comparison tools, where you can compare the schema object differences using Schema Compare for Oracle and the data differences using Data compare for Oracle.

If data manipulation is something you would like to see added to Source Control for Oracle, please create a new topic in the User Voice forum for the Oracle Tools available HERE. The more comments and votes a topic receives will increase the chances of it being included in a future version. The User Voice forums are actively monitored by the Product Managers and Development Teams.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com