Git - Couldn't get write lock

swordfishswordfish Posts: 4
I've had an issue since yesterday with SQL Source Control and one of my Git repositories. When I try to commit changes, it hangs on the Updating Metadata step and eventually returns an error saying 'Couldn't get write lock'. I thought I'd got round the issue by unlinking and relinking the database, but the problem is back again. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm running version 3.7.5.328. The problem seems to be just affecting one database, others commit without any issues.

Comments

• Hi,

I'd have a look at any antivirus software you are using and try excluding the %localappdata%Red GateSQL Source Control 3 directory from any scans. If your antivirus is scanning a file and obtaining a write lock, that could be causing the error you are experiencing.

If this doesn't fix things, send me the logfile and I'll take a look at it. You'll find the log in the %localappdata%Red GateLogsSQL Source Control 3 directory. Send it to support@red-gate.com and if you put 32486 in the subject line, I'll be able to easily find it.
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software
  • I was having the same "Couldn't get write lock" issue as swordfish and I'm also running the same version. Can't speak for him but my antivirus was the problem. Added the exclusion you mentioned and the problem is gone now. Thanks!
  • I was having the same "Couldn't get write lock" issue as swordfish and I'm also running the same version. Can't speak for him but my antivirus was the problem. Added the exclusion you mentioned and the problem is gone now. Thanks!

That's good to hear :)
    Software Engineer
    Redgate Software