Options

SQL Prompt 6.4 failed to load

edited October 28, 2014 6:53AM in SQL Prompt
I am getting the message
The Add-in 'SQL Prompt 6.4' failed to load or caused and exception. Would you like to remove this add-in?

The error message is
<Unknown Error>
The error number is 80131534

I uninstalled SQL Prompt, downloaded SQL Developer Tools and re-installed. I get the same error.

Comments

• Options
    Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Richard,

Unfortunately the error message translates to "a type failed to initialize" which is pretty vague but it looks like Prompt isn't even being loaded into SSMS before it fails.

Could I ask which version of SSMS and Windows you are running? Do you have any other addins installed in SSMS?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.5520.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 10.0.5500.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.1.7601.17514
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.10.9200.17116
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.5485
    Operating System 6.1.7601

Operating System Is Windows 7.
  • Options
    Prompt 6.4 requires .NET 4 to run (although the installer should have complained if it wasn't available) could you double check to make sure it's installed on your machine?
  • Options
    It definitely is, up to 4.5 actually because I am a developer and my visual studio projects are all 4.5 right now (VS 2012). I think it is reporting 2.0 because that is what this version of SSMS uses.
  • Options
    Hi Richard,

You're right, it seems that the SSMS help dialog will just show the .NET framework it's using.
    I'll set up a VM with the same version of windows and SSMS and see if that helps me recreate the issue you're seeing here.

To help us narrow it down, do you know if any of the previous versions of Prompt 6 work for you? (e.g Prompt 6.3)

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Options
    They had, and 6.4 was working as well and then it just stopped working. Is there any SSMS startup logging I can turn on? I can do this for extensions in Visual Studio but I'm not aware of how to do it for SSMS.
  • Options
    I can't think of any logs that would help here, SSMS2008 initializes its add-ins through COM and the errors are always pretty vague.

Could you try uninstalling 6.4 and re-installing 6.3 to see if that works? (Just to rule out there being something wrong with the environment or if it's this specific version of Prompt)
  • Options
    Hi Richard,

We've created a VM with the same spec as your machine and we're still having difficulty recreating this error so we think it might be something specific to your pc. This might be easier to track down over email, if you'd like to continue investigating please contact me on aaron.law@red-gate.com.

Thanks,
    Aaron.