Options

ANTS Profiler lacks permission to re-start IIS

sbecksbeck Posts: 4
edited October 29, 2014 12:41PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
When I am trying to Profile my WCF web Services (https) it tells me that the perfomance profiler Needs to re-start IIS. However, it seems like there is a permission problem under Windows 8 even when i run the profiler as admin:

When it says "Starting w3wp..." it hangs and finally I get the error message: "Could not start IIS".

I found following hint in the logfiles:
24 Oct 2014 11:27:08.271 [13] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities - The profiler tried to run "[b]C:Windowssystem32inetsrvappcmd.exe list apppools[/b] " but got the error: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<appcmd>

<ERROR message="Konfigurationsfehler 
Dateiname: redirection.config
Zeilennummer: 0
Beschreibung: [b]Die Konfigurationsdatei kann aufgrund unzureichender Berechtigungen nicht gelesen[/b] werden.
." />

</appcmd>
" and exit code: 5
24 Oct 2014 11:27:08.323 [13] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities - The profiler tried to run "C:Windowssystem32inetsrvappcmd.exe list sites" but got the error: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<appcmd>

Beschreibung: Die Konfigurationsdatei kann aufgrund unzureichender Berechtigungen nicht gelesen werden.
." />

</appcmd>
24 Oct 2014 11:27:08.373 [13] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities - The profiler tried to run "C:Windowssystem32inetsrvappcmd.exe list apps" but got the error: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<appcmd>

Beschreibung: Die Konfigurationsdatei kann aufgrund unzureichender Berechtigungen nicht gelesen werden.
." />

</appcmd>

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi there,

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear you're experiencing an issue with the profiler!

Can you kindly first try changing the user that the ANTS Performance Profiler IIS service runs as to a user that definitely has access to C:Windowssystem32inetsrvappcmd.exe?

- Go to the Services control panel
    - Right-click on ANTS Performance Profiler 8 Service and choose 'Properties'
    - Click on the "log-on" tab and change it to log on as your specific user
    - Restart the service, open a new instance of the profiler, and try profiling again

Should that still not help, can you please send across your entire log file via the ticket we have open for you (#31084)? Please also check Event Viewer for any errors regarding the profiler or your application (Windows logs>Application)

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?